Sunday Runday!

Prepping for the half today consisted of running 8 miles at 7am this morning, 40minutes away from my house.


Oh boy. It was VERY difficult to drag myself out of bed this morning.  I have discovered that I am getting nervous on Saturday nights for Sunday morning runs. Each Sunday I'm gaining miles that I've never run before. Each Sunday, I run a little further, and it's the furthest I've ever gone, since last week.

I was late getting out to the lake because Mr. Goe had parked behind me last night & I forgot to get our vehicles switched around. But at 6:20 in the morning and only after 5 hours of sleep, he got up, put on his house slippers and walked into the drizzling rain to move his truck so that I could go run.

Because Ironwoman & I run rain or shine.

All in all it was a good first 8 miler for me. The drizzle was pretty inconsistent. Eventually faded towards the end of the run and then picked up almost as soon as we got in our cars afterward. 
The course wasn't totally clear cut & there were a lot of paths you could take around this one lake, we may have gotten lost around mile...4. We didn't let that deter us to much. The purpose of today's run was to run with a consistent pace, know that our legs can continue to go for hours on end, and most importantly, to build endurance for the the upcoming weeks. 
We had a few minor hills. We conquered most of them.  
The GPS watch Ironwoman was wearing pretty much told us so. We kept a steady pace, expect for around mile 3 & 4 when we got lost! HA! But Not bad for my first 8 miler. 

I also tried some of that GU...have you guys heard of this stuff?

I have been trying to stay away from "processed" stuff. The GU was not the best tasting stuff in the entire world, but it worked. After only 5 hrs of sleep (give or take 20minutes) I knew I was going to need a boost. (Don't worry I plan to sleep more next Saturday). It didn't hit my system like some of the other processed stuff. That jumpy, I feel crazy feeling. But I could feel my legs and arms just really using the energy. It felt good.
However, I will get back to you on research for using these types of "Running Aides" and having insulin resistance. If you do need to have something for a running aide, try raisins, I am planning to run with some next week on my first 9 miler(ek!) Okay, Internet research here...the GU is going to score in the NEVER TOUCH if you are insulin resistant range, because it contains an ingredient called maltodextrin. Maltodextrin has a Gylemic index of 130...although I didn't physically get sick after eating it, I probably just won't eat it again...Fitness for Travel

Speaking of things to eat! Ironwoman felt bad for me, because of my zucchini situation so, true to her name like the hero she is, she brought me some from her garden! I can't wait to make the zucchini chips and share them all with you!

Do you guys have running aides?

Oh! Another trick Ironwoman taught me was to put my protein powder in my oatmeal. I ended up doing that this morning before my run because I didn't have time to make a smoothie. I poured my Oatfit into a bowl and warmed it up in the microwave (after adding water of course). Added about 3/4 of a scoop of the vegan protein powder I have been using and about 1tbsp of Almond milk. I was the best kind of full. I wasn't starved after the run...8 miles. 8miles, and I wasn't hungry. Well, I had also had two scrambled eggs in the microwave, but it tasted great! I'm thinking this might be my new breakfast routine before early runs.

That's the thing about running, or exercising, or life really. You have to keep trying new things to see what makes sense for you.
Finding that balance of knowledge and power and using it to your best advantage. I gained knowledge about the GU's and probably won't ingest them again, but I didn't know, till I knew. We're never born with the power to know great and mighty things. That's why we should rely on God, right? But free will gives me the power to do what I choose. Knowing now that the GU probably isn't the best for my system, makes me less likely to want it in the future. It might work for you & That's great! But now I have the power of knowledge to make that decision.


Running will teach you that, if nothing else. That it's about putting one foot in front of the other. It's about taking the hills when you need too and enjoying the ease of the downhills. It's about one foot in front of the other until the end of the race. You can go fast or slow. It's only you vs you. (Unless you're competitive, then it's about you vs every other runner). At the end of the day if you know you did your best & made the right call, that's all that matters. 

Blessings everyone, 
A


Comments