7 Years a Runner

Today is my runiversary. 7 years ago today, I embarked on my first ever race. From what I remember, I was really excited to get started. I don't remember if I had a time frame in mind to beat, I just knew I wanted to cross both the start line and the finish line.
It took me just over 40 minutes to complete two miles, granted there was a stop and wait in there for mom to catch up, but it was enough to ignite my love for running.



I wondered if I could beat my time next year.

2012 came with a lot of firsts. My first 5k, running that in the same time frame as walking my 2 miles. A color run, a midnight run. With each race, I wanted more. I craved more. Each race seemed like a fun themed party each month where you got a free t-shirt and a chance to hang out with friends. 

Then in 2013, in the midst of struggling with the pain of our infertility journey, I ran my first ever 5 miler. I loved how good I felt. The endorphins rushing through my system, the weight I lost, how encouraging I found the racing community. 

(2 years worth of runs)

Up to this point, Iron Woman and I had run about 6 races together, mostly 5ks, however, Iron Woman had ran...at least...2 half marathons...I can't be for sure...I'd have to ask her. I knew though as soon as I crossed the finish line, I was ready to be on her level. A half marathon.

2014 was a big year for both of us, a Warrior dash, my first Murph, a sprint Tri-athlon, a 10k, and our first full summer with the run happy hour crew. I love training with her. She sets a great pace, we talk about everything, we talk about nothing. Sometimes...when we're feeling crazy, we start planning our next run together while running. 


I followed up 2014 by doubling down on events in 2015. 2015 was a rough year. The man and I had an unsuccessful attempt at an IUI, he lost his father, and our home life was in upheaval. The IUI drained us as insurance didn't cover anything. 
Taking the later half of the year off from treatment I desperately needed something to concentrate on. Four different 5ks, a 10k, my first beer and bagel. That was a great run! It was definitely different running through forest acres, across rivers, and along a very muddy path. In each of these races I kept finding pieces of my soul. I knew I was stronger every time I ran. I got better and faster with each run. 
2016 was no exception. Another Muprh, another 5k. One 4 miler, another half, and then the training plan that set us on the path for our first full. (Yes first, lol. I swore in the middle of training, I wouldn't do it again...but I can feel the marathon length calling my name again...it's a little louder than a whisper now.)


2017 was probably the second worst year in dealing with our infertility struggles. We were still trying to build back our finances, get through a rough job transition on my end. Some how though, I always found a way to pay for a race. Each one keeping me sane. Keeping me grounded and allowing my mind to forgive the pain, feel better, to see me through to the next run. 1 murph, another 10k, a 4 miler, and two half marathons. 

This year as I mark off another 10k, my second mud run, another 5k, I know I still have at least 2 events on the horizon. One of them being my 5th half marathon. I look forward to each event with trepidation and joy. It doesn't matter how fast or how slow I go, as I never know which body will show up on race day, but it only matters that I keep putting one foot in front of the other. 

I run because I get too. I run because others can't - I run for them, to not take this gift for granted. I run to find peace. I run to pray. I run to feel better. I run to manage my anxiety. I run to forget. I run to remember. I run to be in nature, enjoy nature.  





Running has taught me the importance of endurance beyond hope and to just keep striving forward, no matter what the last event was like. 


(7 years worth of runs)





Blessings everyone!
I'll be back tomorrow with a mid-week check-in on my goals. 

Comments

You really inspire me! I understand about "which body shows up for the race..." I have the same problem with "which brain shows up for the race."
agoerunnergirl said…
hahaa, yeah that makes sense. And thank you :)