Wordy Ash Wednesday

I almost forgot about posting today. I had to get up at 6:50am (I'm not sure if you remember an earlier post where I explain somewhat the extent of my loathsomeness for early morning activities. If it doesn't involve vacation or something magical, I'm usually not the worlds happiest riser)
Either way, I wanted to set aside the importance of writing today becasue it IS Ash Wednesday.
I love Lent and Easter. It's always been a great way for me to physically, spiritually, and emtionally detox. I've let go of my pretty powerful negative thoughts or actions through Lent. I've even given up food. Food I LOVE!! Food I crave and dream about!
I've decided this year to give up, added sugar...eeek!!! No more coffee (I'm not a huge coffee drinker but it sure does add up when I do.) I want to create more healthy sugary snack options. Discover new recipes for paelo, low carb, gluten free options. Options I can feel good about.


What are some of your favorite Lenten Activties?

Here are some typical ones. 

1. Fasting – way to cleanse the mind and body, encourages self-discipline/reflection (Mat 9:15)

2. Special Commitments – give up something for a greater good, self denial/discipline, gives direction, extra time for reading, studying, meditating, service (Mat 16:24)
3. Good deeds and Almsgiving – self-sacrifice to serve and benefit others. (Mat 6:1)
4. Prayer and Reflection – speaking and listening with God, can use Psalms/devotions, check your attitude and motivations. (Mat 6:6)
5. Christian Study – reading God’s word and reflecting on how Christ’s life and death transforms lives, strengthen our faith and hope. (Mat 7:7)
6. Church Activities – special services for our renewal and faith growth, opportunity to encourage one another, and praise God for what God has done for us. (Mat 18:20)

Lent is a time of renewal and preparation, be realistic on what you can do and set aside some time and watch God at work in your life. James encourages us with… “Be doers of the Word, and not merely hearers.” James 1:22

1. Sugar is a REALLY hard thing to quit! It takes 21 days to create a habit. So hopefully in 40 days I can get rid of my NEED for it! Update myfitness pal app on my phone daily to help keep me on track. 
As well as continue/get back on track with my training for my dualthon in April!! That's coming up so quick! 

2. I want to study some each day. Daily, I want to read an Easter Devtional. I found a book last year Reaching Toward Easter by Derek Maul. What I didn't realize last year was that there is in fact questions at the end of each week! Ha! So I wasn't getting a whole lot out of it.

3. I want to curb uncessary spending. (No more impulse shopping! Hard when you go to the store a few times a week for groceries but I want to be mindful of making lists again) 

4. Attend church every Sunday of Lent. 

5. Give More during Lent- 40 household items to give to GoodWill. (Maybe More!) And a small cash donation to the church. 

“And when you fast, do not look gloomy like the hypocrites, for they disfigure their faces that their fasting may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face, that your fasting may not be seen by others but by your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.
Matthew 6:16-18

When we dedicate ourselves back to Christ we give up all the negativey that it waying us down. Do it for you, do it for fellowship with Christ. It doesn't matter what others think, it's about your personal walk with God and how you can feel closer to him. 

Sugar is very hard for me because I will rely on it to make me feel better. I am dedicating the next 40 days to a more healthier approach. Join me on the journey, and please wish me luck! LOL.

Praying for you and yours this Lenten Season. 





Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh of my best Lenten sacrifices was giving up added sugar. I was shocked in all the places I found it. After that 40 days, though, I could taste in things like spaghetti sauce! Can you believe they put sugar in spaghetti sauce! Why?? Anyway, I learned a ton that Lent about food and sugar and how to avoid it.
Offer it up for a beautiful intention and every time you feel like you gotta have it, focus on Jesus and it will be a reminder to pray!
agoerunnergirl said…
Oh so weird!! Thanks for the advice! That's a great opportunity to pray! I often forget that sometimes!