Finding self love

Goodness two late postings in a row. There's been a string of friends, women who are suffering from a great deal of non-belief. Non-belief in themselves.

The truth is I have unbelief in myself sometimes. Telling myself I can't do it. I should not do it.
I'm not like those runners, or I don't look like her!

Ladies, just so you know. Every single one of these are lies.

I went for another run today. (I mean it was 70° outside, how could I not?) Not only is it a great time to get to clear my head, but also to people watch. Try it some time.

It was beautiful outside! Bright sun, the park full of people! These people from all different places in their fitness journeys. From the young parents trying to run while they frustratingly watch their daughter learn to ride her bike; or the single gal just wanting to take a nice walk but still manage to look like she was exercising. All different shapes and sizes.

All these women hating their bodies because they have a roll here and dimple there... we all have things we hate about ourselves. I have plenty.

But what good does it do us to think of the things we hate vs the things we live.

I've got a beautiful set of eyes! I'm getting some nice definition in my arms from 'lifting' (I use the term loosely because I don't lift heavy. Not yet.)
I have an award winning personality ;) Bahaha! (Don't ask my husband though. Haha)

Why aren't we worth it? The self love?

 Do you know how much God loves us? He literally gave us his son as a sacrifice for us! For you. Even for me! And trust me...I'm just as bad as they come!

So why do we spend so much time hating ourselves when we could use that energy to practice self love. Self sacrifice even.

Are you worth the hour at the gym? Are you worth telling yourself every morning in the mirror that you're beautiful? Sacrificing time to love ourselves.

The biggest thing is, we don't know how to practice self love.

First off...tell the negative committee that meets in your head that they are stupid and no longer have a job in your brain. Then quickly hire cheerleaders who say 'go you! Every time you make the right decision. They'll even cheer you when you're down or struggling. That's they're job.

Second make a list of your best qualities and put it somewhere where you'll see it everyday. Read it, just as often.

Thirdly and most importantly start making choices that reflect your dreams not your fears.
My dream is to one day no longer take metformin to control my insulin resistance. That's why I sit here watching a good show, drinking some great tea and tell myself I don't need the delicious ooey gooey caramel covered.....oh goodness! Nope! No! I don't need it!
Pray.
Lord, thank you for giving the opportunity to become stronger. To no longer let sugar be in charge of me.Thank you for giving me your strength. With that I am. Thank you. Amen.

Lastly, nothing kills joy and hope like comparison. Her boobs may be bigger, her thighs might not touch(that's just unnatural. Even fit women with defined muscles have thighs that touch.) But you can't have love and hope when you allow compassion to take up residence.
Instead if you see someone thinner than you eating carrots. Tell her 'good job!' Then remind yourself what your doing for you. Eating better, exercising more. Practicing self love one day at a time.

Even if diet or exercise aren't your issues your struggling with, every day is a good day to practice self love.
We're all made different for different reasons. What's yours? What's your journey?

I can promise you, you're the only who absolutely HAS to live with you. Wouldn't it be much nicer if you got along and loved yourself?








Comments

Anonymous said…
You stinker, you brought tears to my eyes. Again, just what I needed to hear. God bless you.
agoerunnergirl said…
:D I'm getting good! Lol...or just more blessed?