Gluten Free Banana Bread

Someone came to work yesterday with the most delicious looking chocolate chip cupcake made from oat flour.

Oh boy I wanted to sink my teeth into that chocolaty ooy gooey-ness. But alas, I remembered my sacrifice for the next 40 days. No coffee, no chocolate, and conquering cravings!
But I became inspired because the person who made the hot mess cupcake made it with oat flour.

Why hadn't I thought of that? Oat Flour? I am suppose to avoid potato and rice flour in general, I believe, mostly because my doctor told me too, but I think as far as PCOS flours go, we generally need to stick to almond flour, coconut flour, or a mix of gluten free flour. It helps provide less of an impact on insulin then the bad flour. Same for honey! Check out this article at cooks.com


I started by using gluten free oatmeal and blending it in the blender


You can use 1:1 of oat flour for regular flour. I also used honey 1:1 for sugar. So 1 cup of honey is equal to 1 cup of sugar. 

The best recipe I have found by far for Gluten Free banana bread can be found at the Taste of Home website.

The only two "substitutions" I made were the oat flour for the gluten free flour and the honey for sugar. Oh and olive oil for canola oil. I never add salt when I'm baking...either. Oh! And I also skipped the nuts.

  • 2 cups gluten-free all-purpose baking flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 cups mashed ripe bananas (4-5 medium)
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1/3 cup canola oil
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl and wet ingredients in a smaller (or different bowl). Just make sure the dry bowl is large, huge! 

Turn the oven on to 350° and grease two 8"4" pans.

Oh! Do yourself a favor...make sure you have ALL of your ingredients BEFORE you start mixing....yeah...last minute trip to the store for baking soda ...after I'd been at the store already. Ugh! 

Then mix in your wet ingredients to your dry slowly.
 Once completely mixed, pour into greased pans. (Half in one pan, half in another) 

Then pop in the oven. Mine only took 45mins. But...I think my pans were a pinch or two longer/bigger. 


They are perfect! Soft and yummy 
deliciousness!

These were perfect for the potluck lunch at work today. 


Comments

Anonymous said…
YUM!