Switching it up

Normally, on Wednesdays I like to do what I call "Wordy Wednesdays", basically post about the stuff that gets you to think either more spiritually about your fitness journey or more mentally about your fitness journey. Usually both! Yesterday, however, (by complete accident) I got more into Wordy Wednesday then I did into Exercise Tuesday.

So Today I am switching it up! This Wordy Wednesday is now...exercise Tuesday! (We can pretend it's opposite day.)

Usually on Wednesdays I run in the morning. The weather is becoming perfect for it and it would be a shame to waste the beautiful sunshine we've been having. I realized this morning though, that I was just not in the mood to run. Normally, I become a huge grump if I don't get my run in, but I knew today, it just wasn't going to happen.

I sort of realized I've lost my drive and passion for my current workout routine. It made me think of how boredom becomes detrimental to your fitness.

If you aren't excited or pumped to get to the gym or energized because you know you're going to have an awesome workout, well...you're doing it wrong. (I feel like that should have a hash tag #doingitwrong)
Then you start making excuses for not working out or only do it with half the passion, half the intensity. Or worse...you give up completely.

Not everyone is going to love exercising, training, or working out. But it is important to our overall health. That's why it's important to find what you love.

Whether it's something intense like CrossFit or something easy like Tai Chi you have to truly love what you do to keep it part of your daily, weekly routine! Otherwise, it's useless and your heart won't be in it.
When your heart isn't in something you lose passion for it, and I realized I have lost my drive for my usual routine. Key word "usual". Time to switch it up!

I asked Dan over at Appetite for Deduction about switching up a routine "You should tweak it once a week. Major changes maybe once every 3 months. You want to give your body some time to adapt or you will have a higher risk of injuries."

Tweaking it once a week will help you from becoming bored, major changes every 12 weeks or 3 months will you keep you excelling to the next level. You will keep learning what your body can and can't do. How far you can push it and you will realize just how strong you actually are, or can be.

So today, I didn't run. Rather than stay home with my puppy girl, who cozied up to me on the couch this morning, I unrolled my yoga mat and got to work.
I used the Shred It with Weights by Jillian Michael's box set I have. It's a High Intensity workout using either dumbbells or kettle bells.

I was sweating so much it dripped onto my glasses! It is 3 totally different sets of whole body motion using the weights. It's incredible how it makes you feel. It was just the change of pace I needed to get my booty back into gear. I'm even looking forward to my 4 mile run down a dirt road this Sunday! That'll be a good post (Ha! Says the woman who will soon be covered in dust & dirt)

One thing I like to do to switch up a routine or when I feel I don't have time to make it to the gym is the 5-4-3-2-1 workout from FitFabCitites
This is will make you curse the inventor of stairs the next day. Sometimes when I'm feeling extra awesome or have more time I do this workout, twice!




Otherwise Pinterest has some really great challenges you can find and create of your own. No gym required, no equipment, just you. 

You will never regret a workout, but you will regret not working out. 

Proverbs 19:15 "If you are lazy and sleep your time away, you will starve." 

Starvtion from exercise & healthy habits leads to a lack of self love & passion. You will never be satisfied until you truly know if you can do this. You are worth the challenge, I promise. 

Tomorrow, I am going to post my adventures in Gluten Free Banana Bread Making and Friday I will tell you more about the CrossFit workouts! 

Be well everyone!
A

P.s. In case you feel like you need a challenge today, here's some awesome workouts I found as well. If you feel the need to have cut abs like the 300 guys... :)

















Comments