Having Postive Body Image

I imagine the next few days will be crazy, so I am sending you a heads up that I might not be able to post until next week sometime, eek! I will try to post on Sunday after the 5k, but we'll cross that bridge when it comes I guess.

Today for Wordy Wednesday I wanted to talk about how people still confuse Beauty with Health.
I truly believe you are beautiful because of your scars, your bumps, your bruises, your "disabilities", your size. Beauty truly comes from within.

I was having a conversation with a friend about how someone referred to her as a bigger girl. Seriously? I went cross-eyed! Who had the nerve to call my friend that? But then I remember, and flashed back to a time when someone called ME a heavy-set girl, and another time when someone also told me "Us bigger girls have to stick together" I couldn't believe that I was being lumped into a category! OH, THAT DRIVES ME Bonkers!!!
I had someone bring some clothes yesterday, as a totally kind thought. I immediately looked at the size and thought "What do they think of me?"
The truth is, if they are like me...they have NO IDEA what size other people are! She was just simply doing something nice. I really had to take a step back and realize, that it was a kind gesture and not worry about what shape they think I am.





And now people call me "tiny", I hate...nay, LOATHE nicknames that refer to peoples size...although if I had to choose one for myself, I believe I might call myself "Little Bit" sounds fun and most importantly it sounds feisty. BUT! That's not how the world works! We don't get to pick our own nick names.

I think what it really comes down to how we think about ourselves. We tend to get mad when people poke directly at our insecurities.



What lies are you believing about your beauty, that have nothing to do with your health?
You are more than a size, more than a number on a scale. More than the disadvantages, and disabilities that hold you back.

The National Eating Disorder Website has 10 Steps to Positive Body Image, but here are my top 5 ways:

1. Celebrate You! All that you can do! How you move, how strong you are, what do you have to offer the world? More than a pretty smile & face for sure! This journey is about becoming FIT not BEAUTIFUL!!


2. Tell yourself EVERYDAY how beautiful you are. Say it, until you start to believe it, and then keep saying it! Especially EVERY TIME you look in the mirror



3. Remember this journey is for you and no one else...

"Every set of eyes comes with its own perspective. Therefore, if we focus on trying to perfect the little parts in our body, if we try to chase the physical, if we try to pick out every little “flaw”, we will only wear ourselves down. The journey in health lies in finding out what works for you and being comfortable in your own skin absolutely, no questions, no matter what." Sandy Vo's blog


4. FORGET THE SCALE! How do your pants feel? Are you comfortable? Can you easily walk up and down the stairs without losing your breath? The scale won't measure these things. It simply measures the collective muscle and skeletal tissue and whatever else happens to be hanging out in your body when you jump on the scale.



5. LOVE YOURSELF!!!




Comments