#OverComer (Thanks for the reminder Mandisa)


I got to RUN! this morning! The weather is suppose to be as hot as blazing saddles today! I knew that it would be great morning for a run! Plus I signed up for another 5k at the end of this month, so I needed to get back in the grove after my week off, last week.
Yesterday was a bit of a rough day for me, for many reasons, reasons which aren't particularly important. But the how I got passed it and the why is.


I have started only within the last few months really started focusing on "mantra's" while running".

Today's running mantra? One word. Overcomer.

Have you heard Mandisa's song?


If you like Christian music, this song will definitely get you pumped up!

While, I was struggling with some pretty heavy emotional stuff yesterday I was able to pull out of it somehow. I often journal about my life and the experiences that I've had. Luckily, I have a place that I have chronicled all that I have over come!
All that I have been through. The trauma, the heartbreaks, the tears, the frustrations. I am able to see how I've grown. If you are someone who internalizes like I do, I highly recommend writing/journaling. It's been a constant source of relief for me. I will even write down my prayers but you can use it for whatever reason. The important thing is to just get it out. Keeping it in will kill you. I still work to push past blocking and hoarding my feelings.

I have come to realize over the years that running is a sense of freedom for me. To fee the open air on my skin. To glide through, sometimes effortlessly, over pavement, grass, and gravel. It frees me from my emotions.



As I was looking back over past journal entries I realized that my interest in running had actually started over a decade ago. Right before I met my husband in fact, I had JUST started running. I would run about 5miles total. (Who knew!?!LOL)

(Nike)


I wanted to quit after mile 2 this morning. I felt I had pushed it to hard on the first mile and could feel my knee & hip pain kicking in. Trying to remember to engage my glutes...I stopped to power walk twice. My thought? "You are letting tired win."; "It's always darkest before the dawn?" (Although I don't know if that's accurate, scientifically, I do know that, that sentence helps me run)

Running is a brain game. Can you get out of your head long enough to let yourself push past walls? (I mean unless your seriously injured...but otherwise...it's usually all in your head)


Running, or any form of exercise will teach you to get out of your head long enough, if you can just stick with it. Before long you will be able to run 2miles, 5miles, 10k's, halfs...You'll be able to do headstands in yoga. You'll jump higher, kick stronger, punch with fists of fury (If kick boxing is your thing.)
You will get better. 
No matter what though...remember just like yesterday's bible verse though that Jesus overcame. Through him we are Overcomers! (Confession: I am a little Obsessed with Mandisa's Song 'Overcomer').

(Mandisa's twitter)

Comments