Half Marathon Training

Sunday, is Runday. And today, was certainly no exception. As part of the training for the our local Half Marathon, for the next couple Sunday's we are physically running the course that cuts through the city.
Which is incredibly helpful because, well, it will give me the mental image of what I need to accomplish for this upcoming task. Today was one of the best runs I've had in awhile. Other than the weather, and being with my INCREDIBLE running partner (seriously words can't describe the awe I have for her, training for her 4th, yes 4th, half marathon. She's...amazing. Simply amazing.) She has all of the tips and tricks I need to not only sustain a run for length of 13miles, she knows what I need to do in order to stay hydrated & keep motivated for a run. Did I say how much I love her?

Anyway, I digress. Today, I had a very...Lord of the Rings moment before we took off for our run. It occurred to me that we would be doing a 6mile prep run this morning. Which is one mile more than I've ever run before.

(I created a meme! Ha! Over at Imgflip.com)

Today, ladies & gents I ran...6 whole miles. Non-stop. No walking (sans the few times I had to slow to drink some water and not splash it all over my face.) Only running. We started slow with an 11 minute mile. We were shooting for a negative split (where you run faster in the second mile than you did in the first.) By the time we finished we were running just under a 9minute 30 second mile. 

This is a seriously awesome site. Go check it out!

Although it was one of the best runs I've probably a.) had in awhile or b.) ever, this happened...
Isn't that cute...yeah...I'm not amused either. I can't decide if it's awesome that I have my first running foot "non-injury" or if I'm annoyed by it. All I really know is it's time to rotate shoes. You are suppose to rotate your shoes every 300miles. Let's just say, my asics have seen...well, then have seen more than that. So tomorrow, I am taking out another pair of shoes I own...I will let you know how the New Balance ones work out for me.

(Oh Ryan!)

Running through the city, I didn't realize how naive I was to the homeless population living in and around our city. As I was running last weekend, I decided after the 3rd or 4th person moving through the early morning lights of the urban sprawl I was acutely aware of the fact that I had a smart phone. That I was running with expensive shoes. That I had somewhere warm to go back home to. That I had arms at home waiting to hug me & love me. 
For each person I saw, I started to name my blessings. I named 10. I was even thankful for some of my first world problems...like having the wrong song on my play list...that sort of thing. 
Today, as I sit at home feeling accomplished after running an extra mile, a mile that I've never run before & realizing what it means to come home, sit down, and write this blog. I feel accomplished. I feel blessed. I feel grateful. 

Because even though, we have to rush to put new tires on my car in the morning, and that we have to take that money away from something that was going to help us out immensely with another project...I know, I am sitting on top of the world. Some days it sure doesn't feel like it but running has taught me, that I am. 
Chalk that one up on the list. Breathing. Endurance. Pain. Gratefulness. Mantras. Blessed. 
It's quite a list. 

I am thankful every time I run...well when I think of it, that is...that I have two strong legs to carry me, two healthy lungs to keep me breathing, eyes to see my surroundings, and my heart that keeps me going. 
Running isn't just exercise, it is without a doubt, a way of life. I do not regret the miles I've put on my shoes. I do not regret my training, my time, my sacrifice away from my family, my selfishness in taking time for me, for the love of the run. I know that by running I am learning. I am learning more about life and love than I ever have before. 
 


I am not sure how but I would like to do something for the homeless in our area...I will now spend time researching ways I can do that in the upcoming months before the race. I will keep you posted on this venture.
 
Alright everyone, it is CRAZY late and I am WICKED tired! Everyone have a great night's sleep and I will try to post tomorrow night.
Blessings, 
A







Comments