Paleo(ish) Chocolate Cookie Protein Bars

A stylist at work gave me this awesome recipe for protein bars but they certainly weren't Paleo (which is fine, but for a clean eating diet I needed to edit the recipe.)

Here is the original recipe:
1 cup Oatflour
1 cup of vanilla protein powder
1 cup rice chex cereal (If you use this recipe the chex will need to be ground up into a flour, or rather just crushed)

Mix dry ingredients together

Add 3 tbsp honey
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup of milk

Add these to the dry mix stir again then heat in the microwave for 30 seconds. Mix together. Add more milk. Place mixture in a 8x8 pan and freeze for 20-30mins.
Additional option you can melt chocolate chips to melt over the top of the bars and freeze again.

Here's how I Paleo-fied and saved money. I saved money by using what was in my cabinet and cutting the recipe in half. I got 8 servings out of the bars.

Paleo-fied Recipe:
1/2 cup almond flour
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup Chocolate vegan SunWarrior protein powder

Mixed the dry ingredients together (That parts the same ::winky face::)

3 tbsp honey (Use 100% maple syrup or agave nectar if you want to make it completely vegan.)
1/4 cup PB2 powder (Okay...so not TOTALLY Paleo...if SUPER Paleo use Almond Butter)
1/8 cup Almond milk
I did add about 4 tbsp of the enjoy life Chocolate Mini Chips into the mixture

Add these to the dry mix stir again then heat in the microwave for 30 seconds. Mix together. Add more milk. Place mixture in a 8x8 pan and freeze for 20-30mins. I actually left mine to freeze overnight. 


 So the next day results are....they're only OKAY. Almond butter would have been a MUCH BETTER idea...the next time I make these I will add that. They're protein and MOSTLY paleo so not a total wash. They are just SUPER dry and not overly delicious. Maybe instead of honey I might use agave nectar...they're okay...lol...like I said. Back to the drawing board on this one.


Also, important note...freezing them overnight is a bad idea. Maybe just put them in the fridge over night, but if you make them in the morning then freeze for 20-30mins. I warmed them up in the microwave but I think I warmed them to much, the bar I pulled out crumbled so I ended up eating it with a spoon and a bowl.

Alright everyone, I need to do dishes, eat lunch and get ready for work.
Blessings,
A



Comments