New Year 2018: Endurance Beyond All Hope

I'm not entirely sure what I wanted to say today. I just know it's been bouncing around in my head for a few days now. So, this is me trying to shake it loose.

I love the promise that a brand new year brings. Promises of joy, magic, chances of redemption, renewal. Starting over. It annoys me that people hate the phrase "New Year, New Me." I like it. What's wrong with trying to improve what you want to improve? Whether it's health, finances, working on your taping dancing skills...whatever you do. Do it.

I was thinking recently as we walked through yet another senseless tragedy...how do you get through the hard stuff? I remember, two years ago, asking my mom how do I drive my husband to the hospital where the doctors, inevitably, would tell the family, that his dad had passed. "Mom, how do I do this?"
"You just do." She said.

You have to move forward. Don't over think it. Don't go over it, or under or around it. Just straight through.

There's been times in my life where I thought I was left alone and worthless. However, as I look back on the last year, I can tell you that I've surrounded myself with some good battle buddies. Faithful, courageous individuals who pray for me. Think of me. Check in on me. Who show me such unexpected love I can't help but be thankful.


2018 is the first year that I did not wish for a baby on my New Years Resolution List, in a long time. This year, I'll be focusing on keeping my feet firmly planted on the ground while I continue to hope for what I am working hard for.

Did you know that in the definition of hope it means a feeling of trust? A feeling of expectation. I learned in a sermon recently the difference between a hope and a wish. A hope is calling the ice cream store, asking the store if they have your favorite flavor on hand, then asking them to set it aside for you as you go to retrieve it. A wish, is a plan of inaction. It's going straight to the ice cream store not knowing, not calling ahead, to go for your favorite flavor whether it will be there or not.

As I look forward to the plans I have for the year. Traveling, races, adventures, I do so with the hope of working towards what I want. I will be back to focusing on my health. Eating better. Finding the freedom that running has brought into my life. Following a budget. I'll do all of this surrounded by great friends.

The thing is...life knocks you down sometimes.


However this year, this warrior, surrounded by the strongest battle buddies, will be striving towards the goal. Whatever 2018 may bring, I will see it through with more endurance than I saw 2017 through.


Blessings everyone, cheers to a new year, and whatever goals you may be striving towards. 
A


Comments