S.M.A.R.T

Iron Woman dropped a knowledge bomb on me the other day. We were briskly walking on side by side treadmills while I was describing my current goals. Iron woman gave me the SMART acronym.



I once heard a sermon about controlling our thoughts, or rather what we focus on matters. The pastor's example was easy enough he said 'don't think about elephants, how big they are, how they sound, how cute they are. (Okay, I added that last one.)" He went onto say it's how not to think about them now isn't it. Instead of saying "Don't think about the elephant. Say think about this cat instead".

I'm not sure if this is making sense...what I mean to say, is I've been focusing on can't and shouldn't. I can't have dairy, I shouldn't weigh this much.

When I need to be focusing on is what I CAN do or SHOULD do.

My current goals are right now are pretty specific. I'm going to have a green vegetable with breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Typically spinach, green beans, broccoli, etc. Drink at minimum 40-60 ounces of water every day. I'm going to stand for 1 to 2 hours a day. I'm also going to keep my carb count low. I'm also going to try and hit my protein goal as much as possible.

Measurable: 1 serving size of a vegetable breakfast lunch and dinner. Ounces of water.

Attainable: These aren't lofty goals. As long as I plan ahead to bring my water jug with me, and remember to fill it at lunch, I'm good to go. When grocery shopping remember how many green vegetables I need.

Realistic: Very ground level goals that won't require a lot of stress or though process.

Time bound: With each meal, water throughout the day, standing for a specified amount of time every day.

Sure I'm going to exercise, but I'm not going to feel like a failure if I don't make it to the gym. I'm going to treat myself but my SMART goals will help keep me on track.

What are your smart goals?

Alright, short post tonight, but I HAD to share.
Blessings,
A

Comments

Anonymous said…
Close but not quite.
Specific: You haven't set the goal. You have set the means to the goal, but not the goal itself. If your goal is to be healthier, that's not specific enough. Describe specifically what healthy means to you. I will weigh _____ or I will be able to run ____ distance in ____ time. I will feel _____. See?

Measurable: When I reach my goal I will be ___________________ or I will feel ________
Achievable: This is good! Wouldn't change that.
Realistic: Also good! Wouldn't change that either
Time Bound: You want to reach this goal by a certain date. It gives you a sense of urgency.

At this point you have a process. You don't have a target to shoot at. How do you know if you've reached your goal?

You have a good start. If you need some help in goal setting, I am just a phone call or email away.
agoerunnergirl said…
Huh....I'm definitely going to have to give this some thought. That's REALLY true! Thank you!