1350-2190 Endurance

One of my favorite fictional stories is that of Frodo Baggins. Let me explain. Other than the obvious a small person takes a huge journey, saves the world. Right? Right. (Technically speaking he saves middle Earth but toMAHto, TAHmato) His story, his journey, is more than that. In fact, it's one thousand three hundred and fifty miles long. That's just over 51 marathons. For Frodo and Samwise it was a 6-month long journey. 24 weeks. Ill-equipped and unprepared Frodo set out on a journey that he had never been on before. Samwise had never even stepped foot outside of the shire.

Over the last month, I've been listening to an audio-book titled "The Pursuit of Endurance: The Record Breaking Power of Strength and Resilience" Jennifer Pharr Davis, completed the entire Appalachian Trail in just 46 days, 11 hours, and 20 minutes. She completed 2,190 miles in less than 3 months establishing a Fastest Known Time for the APT.


A woman, straight out of college, essentially completed Frodo's journey nearly twice. After interviews with some not so famous people and some other big names in the hiking and running community, she breaks down each of their life stories and what brought them to the point of attempting a record of fastest known time. In her book, Jennifer talks about how motherhood on a day to day basis is a feat of endurance, how being shot, or a crushed leg from a work accident nearly brought their stories to an end. A divorce, a friend's suicide, some that dealt with infertility, miscarriages. Broken homes.  Speaking truth into these situations  Jennifer says "Endurance isn't the ability to overcome pain it is the ability to embrace it with no end in sight."


A lot like Frodo's journey "When it feels as if you are constantly losing and everything good is slipping away, it is difficult to muster the strength to keep trying again and again. But endurance is the ability to continue despite past results and with disregard for future outcomes." Frodo had to stop for two full months before he could officially get the ring to Mordor. 

Iron Woman and I are about 5 weeks into our training for our second full marathon and I'm struggling to not beat myself up mentally. Ironwoman is pumping out impressive mile times and she hasn't accomplished before, in part thanks to having a baby. Pushing a stroller while wearing a 20-pound vest? No problem! Up a hill? You bet! Take those things away from her and she flies skillfully across our cement pathways. 

Meanwhile, I still have no baby and I'm struggling to lose some of the weight I've gained. Not only did I lose precious time off of my mile but I feel slow and have an excuse for everything. 

That nasty comparison bug pops up. This morning we completed 3 miles before work and I saw a number flash across my watch that I haven't seen in ages. I was so pumped after that run. 5 weeks in and I can see, physically the fruits of (our) my labor. Staying dedicated to runs, getting up early. Only 15 weeks to go. Even if we shave only 1 minute off of our previous marathon time, we're still gonna consider it a win. 

Frodo's name in Elvish means 'Endurance beyond all hope.' Frodo continued on the journey to Mordor, despite the pain, despite the ache, despite losing friends and his mind along the way. He kept going. Both Jennifer and Frodo had a partner to carry them. Samwise to literally carry Frodo up part of the mountain, and Jennifer's husband Brew gave over his warm dry pants after she slogged through days a frigid cold rain. 

I imagine if you're like me, you have the outstanding ability to stand in your own way. I may not be attempting to accomplish anything resembling an ultra-marathon or walk into Mordor past a bunch of orc's, but I do know that if I can keep moving forward, if I can continue to endure, despite the second-guessing, the bad breakfasts that give a gut ache, and VERY early mornings, I will triumph on my journey to complete 26.2 miles in just mere hours. 

Alright friends, it's late. I haven't shared a menu in a LOOOONNGGG time, I am hoping to get a meal plan posted this week. I am gonna need something for these runs. The sausage this morning sat hard like a rock in my gut. Nearly made the end of the run impossible. I will NOT be making that mistake again!
Blessings,
A

Comments