Fitness Friday:: The Lie

In the style of the Rachel Hollis book, I'm gonna set this up like the beginning of one of her chapters.

The Lie: I'm Incapable

I have been fighting a losing battle to "the wall". The mental wall that, has gone up inside of my head. I'm having a hard time organizing my thoughts plus the year starting out with awful side pain, then my legs feeling heavy every. single. time. I run. Awful.

I began to believe a lie that I could not run this marathon. That, I was incapable of doing so. (Even though I've done it before.) After talking it out with Iron Woman though, I finally put that fear on the table. What I have learned recently is that fear manifests and grows in the dark. Trying to ignore it or push it away makes it messier and darker. Shining the light on it helped kill it. It made me feel like I had scrubbed the bacteria off of my pores to be washed down the drain. 

Running is my 'me-time'. My figure-out-my-life time. It's a sanity booster. On a good run, I have no pain and zero thoughts. I'm gliding through the air almost like flying. The distance of the 26.2 miles daunted me and I believed I wasn't going to be able to make it work.

Would you ever tell a friend that couldn't do something even after they've already achieved it once? Why did I daunt my strength and capabilities? Fear.

On our last 4-mile training run, after finally detailing my irrational circulating thoughts that Ironwoman reminded me we are both very capable of doing this, she inspired me to push faster on Thursday. It brought my average mile time down and help me complete my fastest mile time this year! I practiced a few of my favorite mantra's including my new favorite "higher, further, faster".
As well as a silly trick from Rachel Hollis' book. I imagined running next to Jared Padalecki. With both earbuds in, rocking out to Carry on "My Wayward Son" it was easy to picture him well...his legs are a lot longer... I imagine my stride length is basically walking for him, ha.
However, I imagined running side by side. Me complaining about how hot I am and it's making me miserable. He'd tell me he has a pool and the man and I could join him and Gwen plus their kids.
I'd say really? Acting shocked and surprised as if I wasn't already in disbelief he decided to join me on the run.
He'd say "Yeah, of course!"
Then we joke about Jensen ran ahead because he likes to do his own thing.

Before I knew it, after all the talking, after the daydreaming, I had finally made it. Dripping sweat. Tapped knee, no pain, and finally feeling that runners endorphin rush I've been missing. I finally felt as if I had pushed past that mental wall in my head.

I was able to tell Ironwoman that I officially have both feet into this training. Tomorrow I am ready to rock 10 miles. I've been drinking my water, and I will carb load appropriately.

Wish me luck!
Alright friends, happy Friday! Enjoy your weekend!
Blessings, A


Comments

Mama Fegan said…
Please PLEASE be careful in the heat and humidity! Beware of heat stroke or heat exhaustion!
agoerunnergirl said…
Thank you mama Fegan! We were!