Monday Motivation: Honor Your Pace

On Saturday Iron Woman and I went for a scheduled 6-mile training run. It started out well enough. 3 consecutive miles with negative splits. I always love seeing that! I talked Iron Woman's ear off about a new show I've been watching and explained why it caused some restless sleep on Friday night. Junk food mixed with everyday emotion and intensity of the work week did not provide a very peaceful dream. Either way, once we regrouped at the halfway point for a water break we both popped in our headphones and proceeded to make our way back.

I've been having a hard time breaking a 12 minute mile. Sure a few days ago I had an 11-minute mile, but that might have been a bit of downhill run. Either way, as Iron Woman continued to put half of mile between us, I continued my slow pace of one foot in front of the other. We should be able to celebrate each other's successes without it diminishing our own accomplishments or journeys. Iron Woman is showing me how invincible she is physically by powering through a long day at work, raising a baby and still training for a marathon.

I needed to honor my pace that I was at. I needed to not dog on myself for being slow or gaining weight. I needed to be okay with my 13+ min mile finish. My knee was starting to ache and my stomach was starting to cramp.
The weird thing is...it's mostly psyche that's getting me this time. I'm afraid I'll throw up again if the miles get too long. I'm afraid of feeling that hot searing pain in my side or knee when you pull or injure a tendon.  I'm slow because I'm trying to avoid pain. Nothing wrong with being smart unless what I'm doing is actually holding me back.
It's slowly figuring out how to be uncomfortable but not in pain. If I can accept that I will be uncomfortable running longer distances then I'll be able to push myself to faster mile times and smarter recovery. My goal this week is to get in at least 2 foam rolling sessions. Food goals are less junk, more water, and protein. I was hoping to get a food plan out this past week, which didn't happen, but I shall try again this week. Life just seems to keep moving at a high rate of speed! Before I know the day is gone and I haven't gotten to put my thoughts to paper...or in this case... my thoughts to a blank screen.


Not only do I have to want to finish the marathon, but I've also got to want to succeed. I won't be able to succeed if I limit myself with self-doubt and fear.


I heard it explained one time that Hope is an action. I have hope that I can finish a full 26.2 miles in a day, all from running, without vomiting, as long as I put the time and effort into each of my steps and my training. If I take actions of fearing that I will injure myself, then I will limit the possibilities of what I can do. I need to honor that I'm a running a little slower, but I also need to push myself beyond my comfort zone.
This transcends just working out too, just exercising. You can hope to lose weight if you eat right, exercise, but if you fear you will never lose the weight, you might begin a journey of self-sabotage instead.
Hope for a better tomorrow by putting in the actions today.

Alright friends, I am off to run group tonight! I will be back later this week.
Blessings,
A

Comments