Ted Talks: Breaking Mental Blocks

Monday night was another training run for the upcoming marathon. It was hot but much breezier than weeks past. During this phase of training, on Monday nights, we've started interval runs. Warm-up for 1 mile at a slow yet easy pace, then after a short rest we're supposed to power through a mile at a 10-minute 20-second pace. Rest, then repeat until it's time for our cool down mile. It was during this run that I came face to face with some hard truths.

I heard a quote once "I dare you to train for a marathon and not let it change your life." It took MONTHS for me to accept that I was actually going to run this distance. Then once I finally did I became scared. Trying not to push past a certain limit because I was afraid I would puke. If I puked I would die. Just a heads up in case no one has told you, puking does not equal death.  Every time I stopped for the rest break on Monday night, I could feel a shift in my energy levels and an instant pit in the back of my throat. I swear I could feel it. Then when Iron Woman told me to push, I inwardly (hopefully!) rolled my eyes at the idea. "I AM pushing it" I would think.

I wasn't, in fact, pushing it.

I also struggled with watching her fly through the miles and not being able to keep up with her. Yes, age is a factor, rest, hydration, movement, mental tenacity. I knew I could go faster, that I could push a little harder but every time I tried a wall of excuses and heartbreak would slam down and I could not push any faster.

I needed to break this habit immediately. It was while listening to these two Ted Talks that I realized what exactly it was that was holding me back.


Monica Swope talks about the limits that are put upon people due to their age, gender, education level, etc. She talked about the extensive amount of time she put into her training and her career and how she was nervous to do a Ted talk. A 20minute speech on something that she practices nearly every day, in theory as well as in practice. Monica thought to herself "I can't do this." Then she has this little test, the 9 dot test. She asks you to connect all the dots using only 4 lines. The answer might surprise you. In order to achieve this, you HAVE to think outside of the box. 



Then there's Trishtan Sapphire, who within the first two minutes of her 11-minute speech, I knew what was holding me back. She begins by talking about how in order to achieve anything we have to remove the negative mental blocks that were created at a young age or are deep-rooted beliefs. Trishtan continues to talk about how she wanted to become a huge fashion designer. I thought back to all those times where I expressed a dream to someone only for them to tell me that my dream wasn't right for me. Letting other people make decisions about my life and believing the "no". The thought crashed into me that I didn't think I was strong enough or smart enough to achieve my dreams.
After 8 years of still believing for a baby, it hasn't come to fruition. However, all around me (what seems like) are these amazing women growing humans, adopting humans, raising tiny humans. They are strong and can move mountains. They work full time, craft, lead bible studies, win awards. Women are amazing! They do amazing things!

Somewhere in this journey to parenthood and running miles, I believed that I was not strong enough to run this race because I am not a mother. This is bull. Choking back tears, standing in my parents' kitchen my mom wrapped her arms around me and reminded me that I am much stronger than I know. It helped. I felt the release from my heart and suddenly I believed I could run faster and push farther. Cut to me treadmill running on Tuesday's lunch hour outpacing my Monday night intervals. (Self 5!) This was the final mental block and damn had been released.

I told Iron of my realization and she mentioned to me that 1. She's using her running time for her. This is her sacred space to feel like a powerful woman, generally not be asked to clean, cook, or participate in anything else but to concentrate and love herself! The 2nd was she reminded me, not only did I puke at mile 17 of our first marathon but that I rallied and continued on for 11.2 more miles. Besides a runner, a football player doing drills in the middle of summer...who else pushes to keep moving after puking?
You know that added saying... unless you puke, faint, or die. Just keep going. That was me.

Being a runner is one of the most challenging things I have pushed my body to do. It's also provided great memories, stress relief, and has taught me how to properly goal set.

Do you, my sweet reader, ever come across a mental wall that you just can't breakthrough?
Trishtan gives us 3 examples of how to do just that.

1. Meditate. (15 to 20 minutes.) sitting in a comfortable, relaxing position. For me, this is what you would call the action step. I came to my realization after expending my physical energy through a run, then listening to the ted talks. The physical exertion cleared my mind and the talks helped find the pathway to the block. The answer will come to you when you begin to ask yourself why you can't do the thing you want to do.

2. Forgiveness. Who do I have to forgive? Myself, for not believing that I am strong enough. For letting society dictate that my life is worthless because I do not have a child.

3. The write and burn method. Trishan suggests writing all of your inner thoughts down regarding this block. I was able to recognize the block simply by talking to my mom, giving up what was weighing me down.

Without giving up the old to make room for the new there's no way we could go higher, further, faster baby 😉

Alright friends I am out of here.
Do yourself a favor this week. If there's something that you believe you can't do ask yourself whose telling you that. Is it you or a lie? That lie will build that wall brick by brick until you truly believe you aren't worth your dreams, or that you're not capable of achieving your goals.
It's time we were wall breakers.
Blessings,
A

Comments

Rebecca Fegan said…
I am totally surprised that you considered yourself weak. Completely the opposite of what I, and to be honest, the rest of the people around you believe about you! I cannot picture you without a smile. I am amazed at anyone who can run a whole mile, let alone 26! I'm impressed with how you live your life--on your own terms. Growing baby humans takes exactly the amount of strength in character and determination that you have. The only thing coming between you and being a mom is plumbing.

Food for thought. I had 200 kids. I was a mom to a whole band for 9 years. They were all "my kids." I had several hundred students that I considered "my kids" even though last year 5 of them were in their 70s! The time you spend with people, mentoring them, loving on them, supporting them, and teaching them is more than the 9 months anyone spends growing them. That's a drop in the bucket. You really don't have any influence until after they're born anyway.

You would be an awesome Big Sister in that program. You would be an amazing coach. You would be that rock that someone just learning about their PCOS needs to cling to. My Aunt Mimi never got pregnant, but she had thousands of kids as a teacher. Don't believe that inner voice that defines you by what you can't do. That is the devil sowing doubt. Be the woman God made you: strong, courageous, compassionate!
agoerunnergirl said…
This is everything I needed to hear. Thank you Mama Feagan. To be honest I didn't realize how much that was sitting on my heart until I confronted it. I didn't realize that was something I believed about myself until I said it out loud. Once I said it though I was able to squash it. With the help with family and friends and words like you just said. Thank you for your love. It means everything.