Run Your Own Race

At 32 I think I finally figured out how to run my own race. This past Saturday, Ironwoman and I, ran a 10mile point to point course that provided amazing weather, and quite a few other participants. While we didn't get any age awards, for the first time in a long time, I feel good with how hard I pushed. I didn't worry about anyone else's speed but my own, I also didn't mark anyone to beat. It was freeing to let go of who was in front of me or behind me. Stats wise it was not my best run ever, especially considering my toes kept going numb... that was killer. The funny thing is though, I mentioned this to Ironwoman around mile marker 5 and a very generous runner told me about toe separators!
"$5 at Wal*Mart, I have an extra if you would like one!"
For real? Some complete stranger just offered me something in the middle of a race to help me run better? Well heck yes I will! Toe separators aren't something you really...borrow. LOL, so gross. It was life-changing. However, after two more miles, the other half of my foot started to go numb. I might need another separator or to just not wear those shoes on race day.

That's one of the beautiful things about runners, after a run it doesn't matter how stinky or sweaty we are, we will talk to anyone. Full of endorphins and magic and the world becomes your friend. Well, some alcohol might help too most runners are also full of beer.

Speaking of post-race drinks, I discovered White claw and Truly recently. A truly has 1gram of sugar, is gluten-free, and only 5 carbs! It is the PERFECT after race drink. Right now I like the truly over the white claw, but I might need to just try different flavors of the white claw before I discover one I like.




Okay, I digress, as usual. Back to what I was saying... running your own race. I got to thinking about that especially since Ironwoman and I started on the same racecourse. We started at the same time, which is a lot like life, you go to school with kids your age but as you grow and change you chase things in different patterns. Some graduate, marry go on to have 5 kids. Some chase a degree, or a person, or a career. Some will marry, others won't. Some will write books, star in movies, others will clean up yogurt for the fifth time when their toddler spills it all over the counter. Some of us will fall and falter, but as long as we continue to rise up and remember that getting ahead in life isn't about achieving something by the perfect age or the perfect distance or the perfect time, it's about learning to love ourselves through the process. No matter the direction that life takes us, whether it's 3 career changes, 6 dogs, or 8 kids, we need to continue to love ourselves as well as we love those around us.

I run because it reminds me that I am brave, that I chase the things that matter to me. I'm not running away from anything I'm running towards something. Running reminds me that I'm a fighter. While it's fun on race day to pick someone who running your same pace and try and beat them, it's also freeing when you get marked by someone and decide not to care. I kept pushing, I kept my forward progress relentless and dropped my overall race pace by a minute.
Run your own race.
Blessings,
A

Comments