Purpose over Problems

It's been well over a month since my last post. Whether it was writers' block or stress (probably both) it took me away from my little blog space. The man and I have had some life changes recently, mostly just taking his career towards a more managerial position. I'm very excited for him and proud of how much he's accomplished. Naturally, though it's caused some self-reflection on my own career. I have committed to going back to school, however, that will not happen until 2021.  What do I do in the meantime? I've spent the last month pondering this as well as feeling as if I have been just waiting for life to happen. Rather than finding ways to take action and make stuff happen.

Yesterday the man and I were headed to the store when we passed our local GNC. The sign out front read, "Never let your problems be bigger than your purpose." Man. That was pretty powerful, the only thing I could think though was, 'what is my purpose?'.
Not knowing where to start is probably one of the most overwhelming feelings for anyone starting a new journey. Whether it's weight loss, a new business, living on your own for the first time, becoming a single parent after a death or divorce; the list goes on, but discovering each step to moving forward begins to feel like a dizzying corn maze rather than a well-laid path to success. That's a funny word, isn't it? Success. I assume, like most people, success means being famous, making loads of money, and acquiring lots and lots of stuff.  Also in order to be even be considered as successful, you have to acquire and do all of this before you turn 30. Cause after 30 you're basically obsolete and then you die.


Noooooo, just kidding. Turning 30 has been mostly great but I'm definitely looking at life a little differently than when I was 20 or 25. (As we should). What I'm trying to say though is that there are different times in our lives where we all struggle with purpose.

I was texting with my lil' big bro recently and detailing all the reasons I'm stuck mentally.  He recommended a podcast by Jay Shetty, called On Purpose. The title of this episode is "How to reduce the chemicals that ruin your brain and body". The funny thing is that's not at all what the episode is about...it is but it isn't.  See when I say chemicals,  like anyone, you probably think of things like sugar, alcohol, yellow 7, and red dye #5... What Dr. Rangan Chatterjee actually discusses are things like loneliness, passions, and rest.  This is bananas to me,  but also great news!

A lot like the book Hangry by Dr. Brooke and Sarah Fragoso, Dr. Chatterjee discusses pillars to everyday health.  Most people can't commit to 30 minutes of meditation every single day,  but what they can do in 1 minute.  1 minute every day to breath in for 3 counts hold for 4, then breath out for 5 counts.  He talks candidly about how he helps his patients accomplish this in their daily lives as well as his own.  When one of his patients came in describing feelings of depression he advised them the next time he is with friends, to set his phone down and really pay attention to what was happening around him.
He also talked about taking purpose off of a pedestal and do 1 thing every single day for 5 minutes that brings you complete joy. Whether it's reading a book,  coloring a silly picture, or pouring yourself a cup of coffee,  do that. Every single day. It can also be something different every day.

This led me down a rabbit hole about finding purpose.  As always Huffington post turned out a great article "3 Unexpected Ways to Find Your Life Purpose"

1. More action - I realized after reading this post that the less I blogged the more lost I felt. A few years back a friend asked me "what do you want to do? Not be, but do. What do you want to do?" After thinking this over I still really identify with "making the ordinary extraordinary ". The small everyday things that are actually life-changing.


To get biblical on you for a second, this reminds me of the story of Moses, Exodus chapter 3. Moses was doing his ordinary job of tending sheep when he noticed a bush burning near where he was at. Going over to inspect what was happening he noticed that the bush itself, while on fire, was not burning. It was then that God called to him. God was calling Moses to go on this great mission and free his people. It was this simple everyday act that propelled Moses to lead 2.4 million Israelites out of Egypt, away from oppression and tyranny. Living proof that everyday acts can lead to triumphant change.

2. Head to Heart - the author of the post-Shannon Kaiser says it best "Start taking steps to do what you love. When you are inspired and connected to your happy self, inspiration floods your heart and soul."

3. Break up- "
Many of us struggle because we try to find that ONE thing that we are meant to do; but trying to find only one thing is the reason why we feel like something is missing. The notion that we have only one thing we are meant for limits us from fulfilling our greatness."

I am taking today as step 1 towards one of my health pillars. Spend 5 minutes doing something that brings you joy. Admittedly creating a blog post takes more than 5 minutes, but I will start with 5 minutes and continue on as necessary.  Thanks for sticking with me, friends. For now, continue to check back every day as I share more things to enlighten your health journey and motivate you to live your best life. Until tomorrow. 

Blessings, 
A

Comments