Diet Review: Paleo

I want to continue with last week's theme of diet reviews. There are so many out there, how do we know which ones are "good", which ones are "bad"? However, that's sort of the wrong question. We should really be asking ourselves, 'will this diet work for me?' We are all packaged differently, operate differently, some of us work out, while others of us consider a beer run as cardio (muahahaha) so why does it seem like mainstream media tries to convince us that 'insert the latest diet name here' is one size fits all?

I hope to break that stigma by giving you the research that I've unearthed from the depths of the internet, medical journals, and talking with experts. Today I am reviewing the Paleo diet. Last week when I reviewed the vegan diet, I mentioned the reason why I wanted to change my diet. When the man and I started our TTC journey, one of the first pieces of advice I was given was to change my diet.  Here we are almost 9 years later and I've definitely gone through some different diet phases, first gluten-free, then Atkins, then an attempt at a thyroid diet, I completed a full 21-day sugar detox. (By far that was probably the best one and I would REALLY like to try it again.) This is ultimately what led me to follow the paleo diet. It was sustainable, my tummers (this is my mom's word for the tummy.) felt good, minimal digestive issues unless I went back to standard American Diet. That's why today I'd like to give you the pluses and minuses of the Paleo diet!

 The popularity of the Paleo diet really started to pick up steam in 2011, even though Dr. Loren Cordain introduced first back in 1970. The definition of the contemporary paleo diet is that it's a hunter/gatherer lifestyle. Meaning you only eat things you can hunt or gather most examples include nuts, berries, meats. No butter or dairy and definitely no grains or processed food. I thought people who practiced this lifestyle were nuts for nuts. (Also disclaimer, when I say nuts - I mean almonds, cashews, etc. not peanuts - that's a legume...apparently...science!)

I researched a little bit of this diet back in 2016 in hopes of finding a heart-healthy diet for the man & I. At the time it was linked to a study that reflected a high fat, low carb diet long term actually ended up causing weight gain in mice. Looking further into the article, it distinctly says high fat low carb. A paleo diet doesn't require you to restrict carbs but it does eliminate most forms of processed sugar (with maple syrup and honey being the expectations provided they are organic and not processed.)

According to the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Health Beat website, they state one of the drawbacks to the Paleo diet is the process of zero gains allowed. The thought process is that if grains are eliminated from athletes' diets, they won't have the necessary energy to sustain them for their events. However, these days you can drop into any bookstore or go to Amazon for a number of carb-rich foods created specifically for the Paleo diet.  You can create grain-free bread, pancakes, waffles, cakes, by using different types of fiber-rich flours such as flaxseed or coconut flour. Potatoes are also a good substitute for energy.

Admittedly I have more knowledge on this diet as I have been following it for a while, but I want to stay open to the negatives as well as the positives.

According to the mayo clinic, another major drawback is the expense of the Paleo diet. This I can tell you first hand is a major drawback, and why I am unable to go full paleo. Sometimes it's just more feasible to buy non-organic, gluten-free staples such as pasta and bread. You don't have to purchase nearly as much but you also save yourself time and money from having to make everything yourself.

The Mayo clinic does say go on to say, in its web article, "A number of randomized clinical trials have compared the paleo diet to other eating plans, such as the Mediterranean Diet or the Diabetes Diet. Overall, these trials suggest that a paleo diet may provide some benefits when compared with diets of fruits, vegetables, lean meats, whole grains, legumes, and low-fat dairy products. These benefits may include: More weight loss, improved glucose tolerance, Better blood pressure control, Lower triglycerides, Better appetite management. However, longer trials with large groups of people randomly assigned to different diets are needed to understand the long-term, overall health benefits and possible risks of a paleo diet."

 The paleo diet has really helped me focus on a more whole foods diet which in turn leads me to eat a lot less processed foods. I also try new things. For instance, I didn't know I liked cabbage, or pork loin, spaghetti squash, beets (well...only in loaves of paleo bread and shakes.) Since the beginning of November, I have been consuming less sugar, less processed stuff, and my acne has cleared a little more. I kind of fell off the deep end in October and consumed 3 bags of m&m's in two days... not my finest moment. Tonight though almost took me back under as I pressed for time and made a bad choice for dinner. Gluten, dairy, soy-free mac & cheese with chicken hotdogs... it was not great. I do not feel good.

I did discover recently though that my neighborhood Wal*Mart has an AMAZING selection of Paleo-friendly frozen meals... the only problem...it's the only store I have found that carries it. Wah wah!! I may try to stock up on some of these packages in the future...just to have on hand for when things get crazy. PALEO IN A PINCH! (Stay tuned for that blog post!)


Alright, for tonight I am signing off. Stay tuned for tomorrow's diet review, the Mediterranean diet.
Good night friends,
Blessings,
A

Comments