Wellness Wednesday: Divine Temple

Welcome to wellness Wednesday! A friend I talked about on that blog awhile ago started a thing called wellness Wednesday.  Tonight I'm going to start that tradition with you,  my friends and readers.
On Wednesdays I text a few of my friends (full disclosure it's typically friends that are going through a rough time or struggling with anxiety, it's good to check on your people.)

In search for things to send some of my people I saw this quote. "Self care is a divine responsibility" it very much reminded me of 1 Corinthians 6:19 "Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the holy spirit, whom you have received by God? You are not your own."

Tonight's post will definitely be more on the spiritual side, but if you are not a believer I encourage you to stick around because it's still a great reminder that practicing self love is not selfish, it's holy.

I'm going to jump right in. If you ever get to feeling like you are not loved, remember that God loved you so much that he sacrificed his son, a part of himself, to save you. Save you from what? Well... death. To drop a game of thrones reference, we were not sold like broodmares or chained. A king loved you so much, he wanted to set you free from death. Basically if you can focus on his love and his light, you can overcome the demons inside of you and around you. (I mean this literally and figuratively.)

Changing your focus in the middle of a panic attack is so hard. So hard in fact that you have to learn techniques or take medicine to stop the attack in it's tracks. We can combat this assault from our mind though by taking care of our spiritual, emotional, and physical health. How do we do this though?

Focus on the light. Focus on the one who loves you. Pray. Meditate. Eat your vegetables. Building a foundation of healthy habits, such as going to bed early, saying no to that second glass of wine, staying home when you're over extended; practicing yoga, going for a run, spending time with your dog (or cat or fill in the blank animal here); reading a book, taking a bubble bath, watching your favorite tv show; listening to calming music, listening to Christian music, baking brownies. Wrapping yourself in an oversize blanket to be a human burrito. Whatever is going to be the balm to your soul, that brings you a spark of joy, do one of those things a day minimum. Take a hot shower (or bath, save the planet!), journal, practice gratitude!

Here are my daily self care routine:
*I take my vitamins and medication.
*Use essential oils
*Snuggle with my dog.
* Pet my cat.
*Wash my face - I do this not only for hygiene purposes but for mental health as well. Helping keep my acne at bay with good products helps me feel more confident in the world. I will sacrifice time away from the tv, sleep, whatever if it means I'll be able to wash my face twice daily.)
*Name 3 things I'm grateful for.
*Some type of movement, whether it's a relaxing yoga video, a 20+ minute workout, or just getting 5,000 steps for the day. Movement can be medicine.
*The further into my 30's I get, the more important sleep becomes. I've gotten into a habit of a nighttime routine. I can't tell you how IMPORTANT this is. Rest is biblical. (#hispterbiblethumper - God rested y'all.) This routine though is also a signal to my brain that it's time to start unwinding and letting go of the day. Put on my pajamas, let the dog out, Brush my teeth, wash my face, let the dog in, put on my essential oils. Not always in that order, and as long as I'm not already falling asleep or there's time, I try to read a daily devotional or a bible study chapter.
*Another daily act of self care this year is focusing on healthy food habits. I've been using my fitness pal to track my macros and really be intentional about what I eat and how much.

Daily or Weekly Joy practices:
*I journal as often as I can, not every day, but keeping a regular journal routine has helped me keep my focus on the light. On God.
*Listening to a podcast when the new episode 'drops' and watching an episode of one of my favorite shows.
*A glass of wine. The good kind that I can sip savor and eat popcorn and chocolates with.
*Paint my nails
*Food prep

I'm not saying you need to practice my routines, but I am saying you need to find what works for you and commit to it. It's how to build your foundation for self care. Your body is a temple that only you (and God) reside in. You honor yourself (and God) when you take care of it. You cherish the gift that God has given you when you find little ways to practice self care and joy. "For it is the small everyday deeds (or ordinary folk) that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love." Gandalf, The Hobbit, J.R.R. Tolkien

Blessings friends and good night.
A

Comments