Home Front Motivation: Runner 5

Add caption
I had planned to walk a mile very day between now and Saturday. Then Sunday I would switch to running 1 mile a day for two weeks, then progress further. However, the world went to chaos...again...and a city that was already just opening from the pandemic, was locked down again, and this time, on a curfew! 

What is a girl, whose in temporary housing, in a city that's locked down, AND ON CURFEW to do for working out!?! Over the weekend and on Monday I completed a few roof top walks. Today though was pouring rain and lightening. No way was I going up to the roof top to walk in that. 

Instead, I turned to an old friend with a new twist. Zombies, Run! Home Front edition. 
In October of 2012 a kick starter was created for, Zombies, Run! The 5k training program that came along with it, was designed to be a sort of "couch to 5k" but with zombies!

I loved the app when I was a subscriber. It was a fun, interactive running app that pushes me to dig deep and run faster. For each mission I completed, I picked up necessary items for Abel Township to help myself and the other survivors. The experience is a lot like a run way radio, Sam Yao, one the major characters of Zombies, Run! Is the eyes, ears, and main companion, throughout the game, at least for season 1. Sam Yao, is pretty funny. As your main point of contact he's great to listen to and has stories for days. Don't worry he's not real, but after awhile, you kind of forget that though. You learn about other characters in the game, how the world basically kind of fell apart, and how were in communication with other parts of the world. He radios you through the comms shack, where he relays necessary information to get you through a safe supply run. The way Sam talks, I imagine the comms shack to be dark, full of wires, and lots of little lights blinking. I also imagine, chip bags, everywhere! Don't worry though as Sam is the perfect amount of chatty and quiet. He's not a constant buzz in your ear.  Prior to the apocalypse Sam had a dream of working radio, which works out for the runner as he's constantly playing your favorite songs. Otherwise known as, linking the zombie app to your favorite music app. It's a fairly easy straight forward set up, and a nice touch when Sam says "here's a tune that takes me back" instead of listening to dead air. 

I was a subscriber of the app quite a few years ago, and for whatever reason, did not renew, but I still VERY MUCH love the free version. If you're a subscriber you can train for a 5k expert level, 10k beginner or intermediate, as well as a half marathon and marathon beginner. The heart of this app, is the running! You can tell to by the way they have interactive maps, supply runs, as well as interval training! 

Don't let all the fancy story lines and Sams jokes fool you though;  the app is called Zombies, Run! for a reason. As a subscriber you set the amount of chases you want per run. Yep. That's right. You can pay the pay on a regular basis to basically making you think someone is after you...like a brain eating zombie...to make you run faster! HAHA! Let me tell you...it works. I was deep into season one when I became convinced that there was a snack in my path...not in fact...a stick. Back in my home state... it was ALWAYS a stick. However, I've heard up north of things called bull snakes...that's going to be a new thing to look out for...anyway! 
If you are not a subscriber (in case you thought you were safe) there are still zombie chases. The creepiest, coolest part is you can hear the hoard or even just a few of them breathing and coming after you. The sounds get louder as they get closer. If you are able to run faster though you, obviously can escape them. 
Luckily, your character won't die off though, as they need you Runner number 5! However, you do lose supplies... and supplies it can be a lot. It's possible to fail or abandon a mission. Which isn't fun in real life, nor in the game. 

The newest part of the app though is that a Home Front Mission has been added. It's easy, fun, and completely free! This bright idea was brought on by more runners opting to stay in doors while social distancing. 

Tonight I completed M01 The Home Front. You can set the amount of time you want to workout by distance or time. Starting the mission as a home work out I went for time. Sam starts out with a warm up then slowly has you preform different exercises for 1 minute at a time. The first mission you complete step-ups, dead bugs, squats; and lots of dancing. You can tailor the work outs to your needs, meaning, you don't actually do what he suggests but any movement, is good movement. 

At a time like this, when there's a global pandemic, literally rioting in the streets, and for me...being in a temporary apartment, surrounded by boxes...again. I had ZERO motivation to workout. 
I think that's why I loved going to the gym so much. My friend was there, the metal, the equipment; the music, the environment. No one will workout from home if they aren't motivated by the space they are in. Mentally and physically! I cannot WAIT to get into our home this weekend and OUT of temporary housing. First thing I'm going to do, is set up the most inspiring motivating gym space. Stay tuned! 

For now though, I encourage you to take a brain break. Step away from your desk, soak up some vitamin D outside if you can, but most importantly drink some water, and get moving. 
Blessings, 
A

Comments