Murph Day Challenge

It was 12+ years ago. The world was slightly different then, I had lived, relatively, in a time of peace. Then the towers fell and then the War on terror was under way. I remember telling my dad one day, I don't know how I'm suppose to go living my life normally knowing their are people overseas who don't get to come home to their families. After all, I remembered what it was like when my dad was stationed or TDYed somewhere. But this was different. I was acutely aware of the fact people were dying.
My father told me something I'll never forget. "They are over there fighting so that you CAN live normally. To protect your freedom. They want you to be happy kiddo". Today, I honor those who have given their lives so that I can live "normally." So that I can be happy & enjoy my freedom.
I will gratefully spend time with those I love today in honor of those who have sacrificed it all for us all.





On this Memorial Day, I headed to the gym with a group of 10 people we headed to the gym and got ready to do what is called The Murph.
It was with determination and focus we set to our task of honoring those who have fallen in the line of service.

The story of The Murph Day Challenge came about after Lt. Michael M Murphy gave his life in the service of our country while serving in Afghanistan. I don't think I can do the story justice any better than what the foundation has written. He was a navy seal who risked his life to radio for help, by directly putting himself in the line of fire to make contact with SOF Quick Reaction Force at Bagram Air Base and request assistance. Only one member of his team survived after spending 3 whole days behind enemy lines.
The movie The Lone Survivor is based off of this event.

The story I have heard is that Lt. Michael Murphy would do a workout he called "Body Armor". It is a 1 mile run followed by 100 pull ups, 200 push ups, 300 squats, and ended with a 1 mile run.

(Crossfit-found out all about it here)

We completed the first mile, which came a lot sooner than I realized! We headed over to the CrossFit station/bars to complete the main course of our task.
It was amazing being with people, who kept encouraging each other, pushing each other forward. My mind kept pushing me forward. "Think of all Lt. Murphy gave; Think of those who can't do this challenge, who can't be here, who want to be here. Just keep going." This time, my body gave out before my mind...which is not very normal for me.
The other girl in the group and I decided to modify our workout in order to avoid injury.


We used the box option and completed 50 pull ups...my arms are not going to like me tomorrow. (I just realized it was 5:30...CA-NOLY! That took up WAY more time than I thought!)
100 push ups. I did the first 35 on my toes than switched to the modified version on my knees.
We completed ALL 300 of the squats. (I should mention we did not use the 25lb vest)
The last mile I blasted through...only to realize, I finished about a quarter mile too soon and then had to kick my tail and finish the rest of it.

Goodness!! I did well, I thought anyway. My muscles are a little less sore now than they were about an hour or so ago, but I have had time to rest since then.

Tonight, say a prayer. Hug tight those who you love and remember what Memorial is truly about. Those who have given their lives in the line of service.


Thinking and praying for all families who have been touched by the loss of those in the line of duty.

Thinking of you,
A

Comments