Surprising PCOS Stats

I've officially been diagnosed with PCOS now for 5 years. However, I would say that I knew long before that. When the man and I could not conceive right away I really wanted to figure out what was wrong. After reviewing and comparing my symptoms to PCOS in the Natural Family Planning book - Taking Charge of Your Fertility, I knew something was up.

PCOS is short for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. It is a serious genetic, hormone, metabolic and reproductive disorder that affects women. PCOS can lead to lifelong complications; infertility; anxiety, depression and other psycho-social disorders; obesity; severe hair and skin issues; endometrial cancer; type 2 diabetes; cardiovascular disease; nonalcoholic fatty liver disease and other life-threatening conditions.

My PCOS included, some hair loss, very irregular cycles, cystic acne; anxiety, weight gain, difficulty losing weight; skin tags, constantly tired, moodiness; and lastly some difficulty sleeping.

After losing most of the weight and doing my own self extensive research I found what works best for me, and controlling my symptoms. I take supplements 3x a day. I exercise regularly, and have cut out, dairy, gluten, and soy from diet as well. I still deal with the anxiety and depression slightly, but that's getting better every day. Some days are better than others but having a therapist and friends I can talk to, really helps.



With all of that said...I'm still learning new things every day about what it means to have PCOS. The thing about PCOS is that it's a life long thing. It typically presents itself in puberty with the missed periods, and carries you all the way through to menopause. The surprising facts about PCOS that I learned recently are that:

*50% of women with PCOS are going undiagnosed or misdiagnosed.
*50% of women with PCOS become diabetic before age 40.
*Women with PCOS are two times more likely to be hospitalized.
*Women with PCOS are three times more likely to develop endometrial cancer.
*PCOS in pregnancy is associated with increased risk of gestational diabetes, preeclampsia, pregnancy-induced hypertension, preterm delivery, cesarean delivery, miscarriage
*It can be difficult to breast feed after giving birth due to the higher androgen levels
*Young girls who have been diagnosed with PCOS are requesting more now than ever to become home school due to bullying in regards to their symptoms.
Lastly, service women who have PCOS, while they can complete the physical requirements for entering, they are having trouble with their waist measurements meeting standard protocol. As far right now, PCOS is also a dis-qualifier for the military. (Disclaimer, this may depend on the recruiting office, as well as when you are diagnosed with PCOS. There are a range of stories out there for living life with PCOS and the military.)

These are some of the reasons why it's important for us to stay educated about our condition, to live our healthiest lives! However when you go months or years with a proper diagnosis then you can miss the warning signs. Kind of scary, but it is possible to live well and to live healthy.

These are just a few important reasons why we need more research from the different institutes or communities at the National Institute of Health. This is why we had a PCOS Advocacy Day. This is why despite having a fear of being judged and babbling like a fool, I wanted to speak up for women and girls who are battling PCOS.

I will keep you all updated as to the progress on the caucus and the resolutions that are gaining ground in our political world.
Blessings,
A

Comments