Marathon Meal Plan

I've been less focused on blogging and more focused on some self-improvement. I've been reading quite a lot if you couldn't tell from my last few posts! LOL, Girl Wash Your Face, Hangry, and The Happiness Project, I've even started Boundaries in Marriage. Whether it's being my 30's or a life long journey to live a more joy-filled and grateful life, I'm not sure. Either way, I'd say these books are helping me change my outlook. 

I'm still wrapping up the Happiness Project, I've just started Boundaries in Marriage, but right now I'm am excited about Hangry by Sarah Fragoso & Dr. Brooke Kalanick, ND, MS. Their book focuses on pumping up and balancing your happy hormones which in turn may lead to weight loss, fat loss, muscle gain, and more joy! 

While most "plans" you buy will give you specific do's and don'ts Sarah & Dr. Brooke's Hangry Program is really more of what you would call guidelines.  

For instance, if you are postpartum, then as an exercise program they want you to start out with their core to the floor program.  However, if you've been lifting heavy and overdoing it they want you to start with a different approach. 
Unfortunately, I won't start their exercise program until after the marathon. However, I have started incorporating some of the 5 pillars. The 5 pillars are their baseline or foundation for their program. 5 walks a week, 4 meals a day, 3 strength training sessions weekly, 2 liters of a water a day, and lastly 1 daily commitment to rest, recovery, and real self-care. 

I am determined to keep my hormones on track for this marathon. Inspired by not only the Hangry program but also Shalane Flanagan and Elyse Kopecky's book Run Fast Eat Slow, I'm aware of what too much running and the wrong diet can do to a woman's body. Incorporating recipes and ideas from both books I am taking a *whole foods approach towards my training. (*minimal supplements that help with performance/recovery/running faster.) As always sticking with the same PCOS friendly guidelines, no soy, dairy, or gluten. I also am attempting to stick to a budget, which can sometimes present challenges when eating 4 REAL meals a day, so I have a LOT of repeats. Doesn't bother me though, as I really enjoy eating something again if I liked it!

So without further ado, here is my meal plan for the next 2 weeks.  



Breakfast: 
On the Mornings I run 3 shot -bloks*(minimal caffeine, no crash, helps with performance) plus 3 hard-boiled egg whites.
 After the run an apple and a protein* shake (vega sport performance)
Long Run mornings: 3 shot-bloks + 1 cup eggs whites + 1 superhero muffin
Mornings I sleep in: 1 cup egg whites + 1 superhero muffin 
I was able to get about 16 muffins out of the batch of superhero muffins I whipped up, so these are gonna last me a while. Towards the end of the two weeks, I'll switch to a paleo lemon blueberry muffins

Lunch: 
During the workweek will consist mostly of leftovers such as (Paleo shepherds pie topped with sweet potatoes ) or another meal with a protein and a cup of vegetables such as Paleo BBQ Meatballs + 1 cup of broccoli or Chicken Meatballs + 1 cup vegetable. For balancing hormones Dr. Brooke and Sarah suggest eating 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup of carbs 2x daily. For carbs they recommend: beets, parsnips, plantains, potatoes, sweet potatoes, turnips, winter squash, yams, apples, berries, 
pears, tomatoes.
After my long runs, I will recover with a packet of Vega Protein Powder and a smoothie. The first being the 'Can't Beet me Smoothie' and the other a Peachy Green Smoothie!

(Nutrition Tip: yes your vegetable is also a carb but these carbs are in addition to the vegetables, which would be your starchy vegetables or low sugar fruits listed above.) 

Snack Break Turned Mini Meal: instead of just an apple and a few bites of nuts, it will now be 1 serving of fruit (probably an apple, not gonna lie, but they're probably my favorite fruit.) 1 serving of almonds (I bought an economy size bag from Costco.) and 1 hard-boiled egg. 

Dinner BRINNER! This is will be hashbrowns + egg whites + 1 serving of bacon or sausage. 
Paleo Shepard's pie, Carne Asada Tacos, 
For quick, easy weeknight meals it will be Grilled burgers + sauteed vegetables, Paleo Shimp Stir Fry, Grilled Salmon + vegetables, and lastly grilled pork chops with a vegetable. 

This seems like so much food! It's also making me SUPER hungry.... definitely time for a snack break. 
Talk to you again soon friends! 
Blessings, 
A

Comments