Thirsty Thursday + New Dinner Recipe

I have been longing to try the Can't Beet Me recipe from the Run Fast, Eat Slow cookbook by Shalane Flangan and Elyse Kopecky. Ever since I got my Ninja bullet for my birthday I have been trying to soak up as many blender recipes as possible.

It is surprisingly easy to make a beet smoothie. I have honestly never bought beets in my life...on purpose. I bought some pickeled ones thinking those would work...but beets in vinegar...in a smoothie? I decided against it and bought real, on the vine beets! I have 3...well 2, now that I used.

There is a running joke inside our family, that my mom likes to substitute a lot while cooking. To the point where it's not even really the same recipe anymore. Sometimes it works out great! For instance one time when she added way too much almond extract to some homemade sugar cookies, to this day, that is my favorite way to eat sugar cookies. (Gluten free of course.)
Then there are other times...where it's a little questionable. It happened to a very unfortunate pan of brownies, that were not sure if it was actually considered edible or not. With that said... I basically did that with the beet recipe. LOL...judge me as thou will.


Ingredients: 
1 beet - peeled chopped (I did not cook mine, because I'm lazy.)
1 small banana - peeled
1 cup frozen blueberries (I used one peeled and chopped kiwi...I won't do this again the future, but it's what I had on hand.)
1 cup almond milk (I used 2 cups)
1 cup coconut water (I do not have coconut water - hence the two cups almond milk)
1 inch knob fresh ginger peeled (Yeah not gonna lie, I got to excited to make the recipe and totally forgot to add this...good thing I have two more beets.)
1 tablespoon of almond butter (this is probably the 3rd ingredient I got right! ha!)

Place all ingredients in blender. Blend until smooth.


In booth cook books of the Run Fast Eat Slow, they did not give calories/servings. The authors really believe in focusing on whole food eating. Which is great! Unfortunately I am not there yet. I still need to count my carbs. For me, I broke this recipe up into 4 servings. I did have to add some water to make it stretch, but it still tasted great. I also added 1 scoop of yoli lean greens (it contains a probiotic and tons of dried and powdered vegetables.) plus 1 scoop of vega protein powder.

Either tomorrow or sometime next week I will do a complete review of all of my supplements and products that I use. It will focus on the ingredients in each product, why I choose it, and the health benefits of each.

I'm really excited to have a powerful blender and two beets to make even more smoothie recipes. I will keep you posted.

I wanted to also share with you this mouthwatering buffalo chicken tender recipe I made the other night from my 21 day sugar detox book but I didn't get any recipes. It was easy to put together, delicious, and I even had enough for leftovers.

Ingredients:
1 cup arrowroot flour
1 cup almond flour
2 teaspoons black pepper
4 teaspoons granulated garlic
1 1/2 teaspoon salt (One question....does every follow spice measurements to the tea? I pretty much just throw mine in there, and say 'yep...that looks like a enough.)
1/2 teaspoon parika
1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk
2 tablespoons of hot sauce (or more if you like it hot!)
I used one large package of chicken tenderloins but the recipe calls for 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into 1 inch strips.)
1/2 cup coconut oil.

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. You can line a pan if you would like, I was lazy, and did not...but it just made more work because then I had to use elbow grease to get the cooked on breading off the pan.

2. One shallow bowl mix together the coconut milk and hot sauce. In a separate shallow bowl mix together all of your dry seasoning. (Coconut oil comes in later.)

3. Using a fork to dip your chicken (after rinsing and patting dry) in the coconut milk and hot. Make sure every side is covered, but shake off any excess. Then dip chicken in dry mix. Repeat with each chicken tenderloin or breast. Place on cooking sheet.

4. Bake for 20 mins. Now this is where the coconut oil comes in. The coconut oil needs to be melted, I just used the microwave to achieve this process...no longer than minute or so.
Open the oven, and bast the chicken strips with the melted coconut oil. Continue to bake in oven for additional 20 minutes.

I'm telling you this recipe...is fantastic. You could even use it as a mock-tot (mock tater tot) recipe, using cauliflower. Basically cut up 1 head of cauliflower and repeat steps 2-4. Although you will more than likely be able to get away with less baking time.

Alright, my eye lids are rapidly getting heavier. Thanks for stopping by everyone, blessings, eat your fruits and veggies this week!
Blessings,
A

Comments