Marathon Training Update::Crush the Wall

Almost 20 whole days since my last post. WOAH! Time for an update. When I last posted I had just finished a 10mile race, time-wise it was not my best, but I had a toe that kept going numb. I relaced all of my running shoes and purchased some blister pads from KT Tape. Unfortunately, our training has fallen off the last two weeks. Quite honestly I think it's burn-out.
The training plan might have been about two weeks, too long. With both of us not sleeping well, dealing with repetitive injuries, and feeling just...done.

Marathon day is fast approaching though. 3 days. Holy buckets. LOL, just realized how close that is. I feel simultaneously prepared yet nervous. Fatigued and anxious. So you know, normal. Ha.

The pursuit of endurance, whether through running, achieving a good grade in school, infertility, reminds me that I can overcome not only distance but pain.  When I found homework impossible because I couldn't concentrate, kept getting words wrong when the miles or weather seemed to dog me at my heels, or the constant reminder that we are missing something as a family, I can push through. Pain whether emotional, spiritual, or physical, is a part of life.

Pushing past the point of being uncomfortable, especially when you run headfirst into that dreaded, mile-high, brick wall is what truly turns us into victors.

I started to mentally prepare for the marathon course last weekend on our 15mile long run. It helped to run part of the course, but more importantly, practicing the mantras and the exercises that will help me push past the wall. Turning to other runners I took this advice from a 6-time marathoner and blogger at Runnin' for Sweets "10 Ways to Overcome the Wall in a Marathon" Here are some of my favorites. (For the full list click the link in the title above. Check out her number 7.)

Her #1 advice Start fueling Early. 
Ironwoman and I debated on carrying water packs, not carrying them when to fuel, when not. That's what training helps with. My current game plan is to drink 1 Yoli passion packet with 20 oz of water before the start of the race. After 1hr of running or closer to the 13-mile marker start drinking the 2nd packet of Yoli that is premixed into a 12oz Gatorade bottle. Around mile 15 I will have a small box of raisins. If I need and/or I find myself losing energy quickly I will consume 2 shot bloks.

#2 Pacing. 
We pace our intervals for a reason. Starting out to fast can really cramp (literally) your style and your muscles, you will fatigue early and not be able to blast into that last quarter mile. Our game plan is to find the 4hr 45min pacer. (roughly 10-11min mile). Our first 13 will be a consistent 11-14 min miles. Then speeding up as necessary.

#3 Mantra. - I've shared most of my mantra's with you but I recently added a few more.
Higher, further, faster, baby!
Can't stop won't stop!
I think I can, I think I can. I know I can I know I can.
I am daring greatly. 
NO FEAR!
Relentless Forward Progress 
The newest addition - "I am not afraid of my greatness." - more on this next week.

#4 Be present.
When the shins are nagging at you or you feel the burn in your hip, try not to let your mind stay there. Acknowledge it. "Hi there. Heads up, I'm gonna ask you to push just a little bit more, but I promise this pain is not forever. It is only temporary." Then take stock of the crowd support, the banners, signs, and say thank you to the volunteers!

#6Walking is Acceptable. 
Run, walk, crawl if you have to, but don't stop that relentless forward progress towards the finish.

#7Dedicate each mile to someone or something.
I've done this in past races and runs. Once for my 2nd cousin who was dying from cancer. To my cat, my first fur baby & best friend who passed away. For everyone deployed. For my nieces and nephews. Thinking about the ones I love and the reason why I run for them helps to drive me closer to that finish line. Their life, their love, their courage really helps empower me.



I added one of my own to this list of wall crushes. Remember, as you feel the wall approach, as you see the journey losing hope, take a deep breath and then dive all in again.



Blessings,
A

Comments