"More turkey Mr. Chandler?"

Life has been BUSY. Last week I had planned on reviewing at least 3 more diets, such as the Mediterranean diet, The Daniel Plan, Whole 30, and a diet challenge that I am currently a part of. However, I have to admit it takes a lot longer to research articles, science peer reviews, and getting opinions from people who have completed these challenges than I gave it credit for. That or I'm just a slow typer. 🤣

Trying to combine diet reviews with the upcoming Holiday plans though might be hard, so here's what I am planning to do. Today I am going to talk about what I'm bringing to the family Thanksgiving (gluten, dairy, soy-free sides, and 1 delicious apple pie.) as well as other ideas that you might enjoy. Then tomorrow, Wednesday, I'll review another diet.

Now onto today's post! It's almost Turkey time and I'm very much looking forward to eating and drinking my way to a cozy (non-Nyquil) nap. (spot the f.r.i.e.n.d.s references post 🤣)

This year I am bringing 2 sides and 1 dessert to the family meal. The first side dish is not only convenient but healthy AND allergen friendly! It's Green Giant Riced Cauliflower Herb Medley (a.k.a stuffing). I picked it up a few weeks ago when I was swearing off all grains again. (For probably the 9th time.) I am intrigued by the medleys, mostly, simple ingredients (Cauliflower, Carrots, Celery, Water, Onion, Green Onion, Sugar, Cranberries, Garlic, Parsley, Salt, Canola Oil, Dried Onion, Vegetable Juice Concentrate (Onion, Carrot, Celery), Cornstarch, Carob Bean Gum, Rosemary Extract, Yeast Extract, Natural Flavor, Sunflower Oil, Spice, Thyme, Rosemary, Sage) and the, mostly, low glycemic impact the dish will have on my body that day (sans the small amount of added sugar.) You should be able to find it at any local grocer in the freezer section. It's a healthy take on everyone's favorite side dish.

For my second side dish, I am planning on another simple and easy, yet incredibly healthy slow-roasted sweet potato (side note: while researching today's post, I stumbled across Precision Nutrition on the healthies potato.Spoiler Alert:: It has more to do with what you put on the potato vs which potato you eat.). Over at Cook Eat Paleo, she has a 2 step, set, and forget recipe that even I can accomplish. After thoroughly washing your sweet potatoes place the amount you plan to eat in the slow cooker. Roast on low for 5-7hours or on high for 3-4 hours. When the potatoes are soft and easily pierced with an eating utensil, cut and drizzle olive oil over the top with salt and cracked black pepper. Serve and enjoy!

Alright...so I'll have my turkey, my "stuffing", and for the all-time American classic APPLE PIE! Here's the deal, I could go full paleo with the dessert but then I'd be left with 5 days of leftovers because not everyone subscribes to mine kind of taste, which is fine. Rather this year I'm going all-in on a store-bought, gluten-free; plain no good for you, apple pie and I have no regrets. (At least... don't right now...hopefully, it tastes good!) I'm not planning on telling the in-laws it is gluten-free but I'm sure they'll find out soon enough. 


In Thanksgiving pasts, I have made attempts at baking a complete from-scratch pie, but it hasn't always turned out so well...circa 2014 the paleo pumpkin pie year. It was a little bland, and not quite enough sugar.  



Why I didn't go with the vegan gluten-free apple crisp that Thanksgiving I don't know... but this recipe might have been more of a crowd-pleaser
If you don't mind white sugar these gluten-free apple pie bars are delicious!
Or if you are more of a pecan person
Paleo Salted Caramel Pecan Pie (cut to me feverishly attempting this recipe on Wednesday night before Thanksgiving...this sounds good!)
Or this savory side dish meets dessert dish Paleo Sweet Potato Casserole.

I cannot wait for Turkey day. Alright, f.r.i.e.n.d.s have a joyous Tuesday and I will be back tomorrow!
Blessings, 
A

Comments