Low Carb Burger (New Recipe Thursday)

If ever asked the question of the top 5 females you could have dinner with, who it be?

Maya Angelou, Joyce Meyer, and Jenifer Lawrance would be the perfect dinner guests. 
Then we could work out with Jillian Michaels afterward (odviously) 
All cooked by Ree Drummand! 
I love her. She's beautiful and funny, and her food always looks so amazing! 



I just started DVRing her show 'The Pioneer Woman' on the food network channel about two months ago. She has countless cookbooks and her blog is amazing! You definitley need to go check her out! 

Anyway her last episode...or rather the last episode I watched was about low carb meals! Right up my alley! 
She made a low carb burger that I was dying to try and last night was the perfect night to try it. 

Here are her steps and recipe and then I will tell you how I tweaked it for me. 

Ingredients

  • 2 pounds Ground Chuck
  • 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
  • 5 dashes Worcestershire Sauce
  • 2 Tablespoons Butter
  • 1/4 cup Mayonnaise
  • 1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
  • 2 dashes Worcestershire Sauce
  • 2 whole Avocados, Sliced
  • 1 whole Tomatoes, Sliced
  • 1/4 whole Thinly Sliced Red Onion
  • 1 head Iceberg, Green Leaf, Or Butter Lettuce
  •  Optional Toppings: Chopped Pickles, Feta Cheese, Cilantro, Pico De Gallo

Preparation Instructions

Make the sauce: Mix together mayonnaise, Dijon, and Worcestershire. Set aside.
In a bowl, combine ground chuck, salt, black pepper, and 5 dashes Worcestershire sauce. Form four patties and set aside.
Heat butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Fry patties until done in the middle.
Top patties with tomato slices, avocado slices, and red onion slices. Drizzle with the sauce to taste.
Cut the base of each lettuce leaf on the head and carefully peel it away so that it stays as intact as possible. Use 2 or 3 leaves per burger patty and wrap them around the patty as tightly as you can.
Slice in half and serve immediately! (FROM PIONEER WOMAN WEBSITE!!!)



I have to tell you...although my picture doesn't do it justice... it was an AMAZING! BRUGER. I think worcestshire sauce is the secret ingredient to making all beef amazing. 
I used seasoned beef patties, freshly made, from the Hy-Vee Meat Counter. ($6 for 6 six patties...I couldn't pass it up.) 
1 outside leaf fromRed leaf lettuce, a red onion, 1 avocado, and greek yogurt (I substituted the mayo for greek yogurt, more protein and less bad 'fat'. As well as omitted the tomato and dijion mustrad. Fresh tomatoes don't sit well with meand I think dijion mustrad is, well it's gross.) 

I dashed the premade patties with worcestshire sauce and used my grill pan to cook them on the stove top. (I'm not going to lie, I think that's the first time I've used that thing properly).
Flipped them until the were done in the middle. (I like mine well done) 

While they were cooking I washed my vegetables, sliced off a bit of the red onion and then mixed together 3 dashes of worcestshire sauce and about a 1/4 a cup. 
I also cut and peeled my avocado and sliced off about a quater of it for an extra topping to my burger. 

After rinsing the lettuce I spread the greek yogurt/worcestshire sauce mixture over one of the lettuce, or part of the lettuce. I happened to be grilling onions for my hubbys burger, so I tossed my red onions on there was well. 
Placed the grilled onions on top of my prepared lettuce, topped it with the seasoned burger, put on my avocado chunk, and then wrapped it in a second leaf of lettuce. 
It was delicious. Nay, that's not even strong enough a word. It was Glorious! I loved it. I felt guitless eating it because it eleminated a lot of the bad fat for good fat and I didn't have to worry about the carb count. 
You HAVE to try this burger! It was amazing! 

Sundays are usually my rundays, or at the very least a definite gym day. I have been battling a bit of a cold and with Mardi Gras coming up I want to show case another recipe. 
Every year as a kid on Mardi Gras my parents would make pancakes. You might also recognize it as Fat Tuesday or Shrove Tuesday. 
Either Way, I knew I was getting pancakes! 
Well with the being a year into a gluten intolreance and watching my carb count I wanted to share with you some of the best guilt free easy pancake recipes BEFORE the night arrives. (Just in case you get a hankering for pancakes and need to shop for ingredients I'm posting the awesomeness a head of time.) I promise to get better pictures of the master piece I will be making as well as a give a little biblical background of Shrove Tuesday. You won't want to miss that post!

Happy Thursday!




Comments

Anonymous said…
Wait, what about me? Why wasn't I invited?? ;)
agoerunnergirl said…
I should have said "famous people".... though you are pretty famous yourself ;)