Shrove Tuesday NanaCakes

Okay so my workout wasn't quite narrated by Morgan Freeman, but I did do some power full(ish) walking at a swap meet. Even picked up this gem.

I may regret that purchase when I'm older, but it fits our movie motif of a living room for now...I rather like it. 

But I digress the purpose of tonight's post was to give you the best low Carb, gluten free pancake recipe. I found the original recipe here
Here's my success with it! 
First things first: 

Ingredients:: 3egg whites
                         1 banana
Optional toppings: blueberries, peanut butter, cinnamon

Cooking materials/utensils: fork
                                                 mixing bowl                                                          griddle 
                                                 non-stick cooking spray(fun fact of the day: non-stick cooking spray has soy in it. There is one brand that I know of that's purely organic and doesn't have any but its pricey...if you were looking at urban spoon and it gave you dollar signs as an indication of the price it would 3 dollar signs worth (($$$)) worth) 
                                and 1/4 measuring cup

Serves: 2 (makes 4 pancakes but I I allotted two pancakes per person)

Nutritional information provided by myfitness pal:



I used more brownish bananas. Easier to mush. 

Peeled and placed banana in bowl and mushed the banana with a fork. (I turned on my griddle at this point to 375 and sprayed with cooking spray.) 

Then I cracked 3 eggs to get out egg whites. (Easy way to do this is to crack one egg at a time in a bowl and use a spoon to get out the yellow part.) Add egg whites to mushed banana.

I added about a teaspoon of cinnamon to mine at this point.

I pulled the banana with the fork up against the side of the bowl to help break down the banana chunks. 

I used a 1/4 cup measuring cup to put poor the mixture on to the griddle.



I cooked them about two+ minutes on each side. At least until they looked mostly solid on one side and brown on other (or griddle side down was brown)


Then I flipped them...but make sure to get a firm place under the pancake otherwise, this happens...

Runaway nanacake! 

I cooked til brown on each side. I ate mine plain because I think they're just that delicious on their own but, you can always add peanut/nut butter or extra fruit.

They smell amazing! And our incredibly scrumptious and they are a perfect, healthy option for Shrove Tuesday.

When I was a kid every Tuesday before the start of the Lenten season we would go to church to have pancakes. 
It's a lovely memory that I hope to pass on someday. I have two favorite Holidays and there about as polar opposite as you can get. 
Halloween. And Easter.
Easter has always been a great reflection time for me and its also a way to help me conquer those inner demons. I've noticed recently that I have been giving into all of my crazy food cravings. On Ash Wednesday I plan to start conquering those cravings, with God's help. 

The reasoning for pancakes on Shrove Tuesday was to use up all of the fat that would spoil over the next 40 days. It was a time for families to feast together on all the things that would spoil. A great article on found on this can be found can be found here at share faith

"The Origins of Shrove Tuesday
Shrove Tuesday originated during the Middle Ages. As in contemporary times, food items like meats, fats, eggs, milk, and fish were regarded as restricted during Lent. To keep such food from being wasted, many families would have big feasts on Shrove Tuesday in order to consume those items that would inevitably become spoiled during the next forty days. The English tradition of eating pancakes on Shrove Tuesday came about as a way to use as much milk, fats, and eggs as possible before Ash Wednesday began. "

I hope you join me over the next 40 days to conquer our cravings. 

I know I'll be cooking up lots of interesting recipes as I kick the sugar to the curb! 

Now a bible verse for you my friends: 

3 John 1:2 NLT

Dear friend, I hope all is well with you and that you are as healthy in body as you are strong in spirit.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I am not a big fan of bananas. Does it have a big banana flavor? I don't mind a little, but you know know those recipes that say this ice cream is just like chocolate and it just tastes like bananas? I feel lied to, lol.
Isa and I have developed a gluten free pancake recipe we really like, the only trouble is you have to be careful of how much gf flour. Different brands have different amounts of stuff and then they can come out truly funky! lol I think I might repost that recipe in honor of Shrove Tuesday!
agoerunnergirl said…
It definitely has a banana flavor but not overly so.
I bought gluten free pancake mix for tonight. I was thinking of posting it later.
What's your recipe? It would be interesting to try it homemade!