Finding Balance


First, my apologies for not posting on Friday! Super busy day followed by an awesome night out with a friend who is moving OUT OF THE COUNTRY! Eeek! I figured you would understand me skipping a post. So, thank you :) 

Onto today's post!

I have posted a few posts on "unacceptable excuses" when to comes to making unhealthy decisions. But...I've probably posted an equally amount of things that are acceptable excuses. Usually it comes in the form of working on good mental health, or knowing when it's okay to say no to exercise and have a treat or two.

Where I am at the weather was definitely April Showers bringing in some May flowers. And it was near freezing. The weather man even mentioned the "S" word. SNOW! Despite the fact that I LOVE when it rains, I equally despise it when it's freezing cold.



It was one of those days where you'd rather stay home and bake cookies versus work on making healthy decisions. Believe or not I told two friends, TWO, that it was okay to give themselves a little permission to rest today, or do a light exercise instead. When it comes to choosing between running a race in the freezing cold rain or staying warm and cozy at home, I told her to stay home. Or when my other friend watched the clock tick by she missed her class at the gym, I also, with equal enthusiasm told her, it was okay that she missed her class.
Why?
Because sometimes we need to rest our bodies and our minds. A healthy journey is hard to complete when your head isn't in the game.
All weekend I did have in mind the fact that I do have an event coming up, so I know I didn't want to over do whatever choices I might be making...wait...that's a lie. I had a LOT to eat yesterday! LOL! This post is probably going to be very confusing.
Even though I had cookies, cake, and a cocktail I also drank plenty of water and ran 2 miles yesterday. Hills! I ran hills yesterday!

I did do some soul searching this weekend though. I slipped into a new dress that I bought for the wedding I attended yesterday and realized I was self-conscious of how I looked. After I ate the cake & cookies at the wedding, I sat down, with that familiar bloated feeling and realized I spent so much time hating my body that I don't know how to do anything else other than to self sabotage. But being hard core extreme doesn't exactly work either. The truth is it takes balance to really play the game right. Time and balance.

I have found it easier to stick to my diet when I truly think through my choices. And I can't think through my choices when I am not thinking clearly. I had other people's voices in my head telling me yesterday as I ate that delicious cookie "you're too skinny. You need to eat a sandwich. Look how hard you've worked, you deserve the cookie. It's your cheat day go ahead."
I should have cleared all that away.
I know what my doctors have told me about how much I should weigh, how I should work out...but doesn't it all get so confusing? So many people, so many ideas! But the one thing remains the same. Balance! Healthy balance. Even the Atkins diet told me I cold have FULL FAT ice cream once in a great while. Funny huh? You look at all the eating plans on the planet they will give you desserts, or healthy options, but it's knowing how to balance them, when to say no! When to walk away when you find yourself drowning in entire package of Oreos.
It can done. It can be conquered. Find your balance. Otherwise you are going to wind up hating yourself if you over do it. Whether it's over eating or under exercising, the important thing is to NEVER stop trying.

Another helpful tip, log your food. NO MATTER WHAT. I logged all of my food yesterday. It wasn't a pretty thing, but it kept me honest. And honestly, it kept me from over doing it today, because I could visibly see what I had done yesterday. I didn't work out today. But I made mostly healthy decisions. I had vegetables, fruit, protein. Lots of water. I only had two pieces of pizza. I'm calling it a win.  



 

(I am really looking forward to tomorrows post as it will be ALL about my nutrition meeting! Can't wait to give you all the painful details. LOL!)

Comments