Exercise Tuesday-Better Body Tips

Back at the gym today! You know you're becoming healthy when you actually LOOK forward to go to the gym & getting back on schedule.

I came across an article in People Magazine talking about the 101 ways to a Better Body. People magazine talked to 12 fitness experts to get their best body, exercise, and wellness tips. I thought the article was perfect. I want to share with you some of my own tips that I have worked for me over the last 6 years, and other tips that I WISH I would have known when I first started working out. (Unfortunately I can't find the link to the direct article but here it is to People magazine website)

1. Running shoes aren't necessary when you first start running. Train and run a race in a pair of shoes you already have, then take them into a professional place where they can help you decide what the best shoe is for you. Runner's World has THE BEST website for helping you decide which shoes to buy. The reason I tell you to use regular shoes first is because you'll get a better feel for what your running style is. It's a great website questionaire and will really direct you in the right direction.

2. Consistency is key with working out. Find a schedule and stick to it!

3. Don't be afraid to try new things, keep searching till you find the thing that pushes you AND makes you happy to do it.

4. Stretching is incredibly important. As an LMT I highly recommend stretching before and after a workout. This is also known as your warm up & cool down!

5. Cardio is just as important as strength training. And Vice Versa

6. Diet will make or break your workout. I have really only started with a stricter diet within the last year and have really nailed it down within the last few months or so. I have been able to maintain my weight for the last few months but still lose inches with the help of the correct diet & and exercise program.

7. Working out on vacation is HARD! Your best bet is to go for a brisk 30min walk every other day, or yoga each morning. Or try one of this awesome workout from Back On Pointe

8. Epsom salt baths are amazing and should not be overlooked if you killed yourself during a workout. Epsom salt has a lot of healing properties. Head over to How Stuff Works to discover all the wonderful things about epsom salt and WHY you should put it in your warm bath water!

9. Working out EVERY OTHER DAY is really okay! Especially if you are doing hard workouts. It gives your muscles a chance to recover and rejuvenate. Gives you a chance to go back to the gym and keep at it, rather than going once, hating it, hurting yourself and then never trying it again. A great friend of mine told me one time "I would rather have you walk 3 miles then run 1 mile and hurt yourself and then be off your game for awhile".

10. This is your journey, and yours alone! Kern Alexander talks about this in the People Magazine Article. It's so true! The sooner you realize it's about you trying to compete with your, the better off you'll be. The stronger you'll get, the harder you'll push yourself. Before you know it you'll see you changes you only dreamed of, rather than focusing on everyone else's body & journey.





11. Sleep is important! I know I have blogged about this before, and how I will sometimes skip a workout if I know I'll need to more sleep. Nothing ruins an attitude, a day, a workout like a night of tossing and turning. 

12. Mediation is HUGE! This will definitely help you lower your stress levels. Which in turn could lower your coristol levels. (The stress hormone)

13. When trying to eat healthy, look up the menu ahead of time, if you are going out for a meal. I find this especially helpful! I have so many things I try to avoid eating it's best if I go in with a decision made & know how the meal is prepared, or at the very least, know what's in it!

14. GET MASSAGES! JEnnifer 'JJ Dancer Johnson, talks about this on her list! Although she only mentions it, I will give you a list of benefits as to why massage is important to your health & your muscles!

15. Don't be afraid to try new things! New workouts, new routines! Nothing breaks a workout more than not wanting to work out. If you don't want to exercise then it's time to find a new routine. FIRST HAVE A ROUTINE, then if you find yourself getting bored switch it up. It can reignite your passion for exercise.

16. A food diary is the REALLY great. It keeps you honest and also keeps you thinking about what your actually putting in your mouth. Talk to either a nutrionist or a trainer to figure out what your daily intake should be.  Not consuming enough food is determental to not only your fitness but your health!
Lean meats are best, eat as clean as possible, Vegetables should be your best fruit. Fruits and legumes should be snacks. And sugary snacks should only be consumed every so often and thought of as treats. It's why I use the myfitnesspal app, (you can also log it on the computer if smart phones aren't your thing.) it helps me stay on track with my low carb diet.


17. Reward yourself with NON food items. You can buy a new trinket, a new outfit, a massage...however you choose to reward yourself for you goals, make the rewards NON food related. I will buy myself flowers usually :) I like flowers.

18. REMEMBER THAT CHANGING YOUR BODY TAKES TIME! As long as you are consistent with your workouts and your eating habits you will get the best body ever. It's easy to get discouraged but the truth is, you're not going to wake up and the weight suddenly be gone. You gotta work for it, and it will take time.
 

19. Smoothie make a great before or post workout meal/snack. It's a great way to sneak in extra vegetables and fruits with a great taste. Throw in a scoop of protein powder and now you've got a protein packed snack! (I'll post a new recipe on Thursday!)

20. Use olive oil or coconut oil when cooking. Healthier fats.

21. Sometimes scheduling your workouts will actually keep you accountable. Put in on the calendar. Print yourself out a sheet, write it down. Seeing it on paper, makes it official. Makes you less likely want to cancel. OR will make you feel horrible about NOT working out, when you miss it. This should push you to make it to your next work out appointment ;)

22. Craig Ramsay Fitness Expert's ulive.com 5 minute workout anywhere (He's definitley got some spunk!) has a great idea. "Put an event on your calendar every few months that motivates you to look good-beach day, pool party, get-together with friends." The events that keep me going are the events I set up. Such as all the 5k's I've ran. As well as weddings. I want to look good in the dresses I wear to them. The events keep me motivated.

23. Marvin Foster who is a SoulCycle instructor has some great advice in his section from people magazines 101 Better Body article. Everything from "Don't be afraid to ask the instructor questions...treat your first class like a first date-you're trying something new so be open...make it a weekly goal to bring lunch to work three times week...cross training is important! Yoga is a great compliment to indoor cycling (I often talk about ALL of the different exercises I do, it helps to keep it switched up); Go to the doctor...find out what is going on with your body and how to make it healthy. DO NOT GO HIGH FIBER before a workout!" (I know this one from experience! My stomach hurt so bad! Not to mention the stinky gas!!! WHOO!

24. Hydration is KEY! Cold water helps you from feeling hungry, warm water or room temp water helps you use the facilities. DRINK LOTS and LOTS of water! Use this Hydration Calculator to figure out how much water you should drink!

25. Breath. Remember to Breath. Smile, and just enjoyment the movements your body has to offer. Fall in love with your body now & enjoy watching all the amazing things it will do as your transform yourself.

Alright, I am off to work everyone. Have a great day!
Blessings,
A

Comments