Allergen Friendly Taco Salad

I am on a roll with New Recipes this week and by complete accident as well. I am also happy to tell you I snuck one more heavy vegetable meal by my hubby tonight. I wasn't planning on posting another recipe tonight.
In fact I was going to talk about the importance of CROSS TRAINING...but I will post about that tomorrow.

Tonight's recipe is also super easy. It is an allergen friendly taco salad.

Ingredients:
1lb hamburger (I used grass fed, you can also use turkey or ground chicken for a leaner meat)
1/2 of a green pepper
1/2 of a yellow pepper
1/2 of a red pepper
1/2 of orange pepper
1/4 of a red onion (diced)
1/2 can of black beans
1tsp red pepper flakes
2 tbsp crushed garlic
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp cumin
1/2 can of whole tomatoes
1/2 can of Rotel diced tomatoes with green chilies
1/2 can of tomato paste

Toppings:
1/2 cup of chopped iceberg lettuce
1/4 cup of Daiya Vegan cheese
A handful of chips (I used Beanitos, pictured below, they are black beans made into chips without a lot of added ingredients. You can pronounce all of the ingredients. Gluten Free, soy free, incredibly yummy.)




Instructions:
Brown hamburger on stove top on a pan. Throw in all seasonings, peppers, beans, and onion.
Once browned add the tomato's, 1/2 of Rotel can, and tomato paste
Cook until bubbling, (You can add as much or as little of the tomatoes as you like, the more of the tomato cans you use the juicier and more bubbly it will be.)
Let bubble for about 5minutes and then turn off stove top and serve over chips, lettuce and then top with Vegan Cheese!

I was on a quest to find cashew cheese, just an alternative to dairy cheese. But to me, it seems a lengthy process to make, takes a lot of ingredients...I just didn't have time for that this week. I had a client tell me about this Daiya cheese that they sell at Hy-Vee. It is gluten, soy, and dairy free. The only kind the Hy-Vee in my town had on stock today was the pepper jack kind, PERFECT for taco salad.
I was weary at first because it's kind of scary eating something where you're not entirely sure of the ingredients. It has a pea protein in it, which is awesome! Another vegetable, lol!
Anyway, I topped my taco salad with it and took the first big bite...it was pure taco deliciousness.
The chips I used were the Beanitos chips. I like the black bean kind, it is full of fiber and also vegan. 4grams of protein in one serving size.

 (My plate)

My big kid turned his nose up at the chips the last time I tried to serve them but I hid them amongst some off brand nacho chips and then topped it with meat and the vegan cheese and he didn't even notice.
I also made sure to melt the cheese on his a little more, just in case he might become concerned over the texture & look of the vegan cheese.
 (His plate)

I think my suggestion is...feed them while they're watching TV and they won't even notice. Again he ate the entire plate!!! Although I had to skip what he calls the "rabbit food" aka the lettuce. But I'm pretty certain that was an entire two maybe 3 servings of vegetables.

I am thinking about going back for seconds! It was a very delectable. I out did myself on the taco salad making business tonight.

 I had to keep from paying attention to him eating without making this face!

Either way, a great taco salad! Totally worth a try! 
I'm off everyone...to have seconds. LOL!
Then bed...tea and bed...

Blessings, 
A

Comments