Cross Training

The All Important Use of Cross Training. I crossed trained for the first time in well...let be honest, I can't remember the last time I held a dumb bell. (Sad)
Last night, I picked up the Shred It with Weights from the Jillian Michaels' DVDs I have. 10minutes I can't even begin to tell you how much my legs were shaking. So many squats & arm raises & lunges all with a 5lb weight. Which, let's be honest, isn't much but even a little bit of weight training is good for you.

Cross training allows you to train in two or more sports, basically an alternative form of exercise that isn't running. Or whatever sport you are choosing to train for.
Right in the midst of training for the half marathon and this VERY SOON UPCOMING (on Sunday) Triathlon.
Cross training helps reduce the risk of overuse, injuries, and can improve muscular balance, and can aide in muscle recovery.

Holy, ca-noly can I feel it today. Everywhere, my shoulders...my neck...my quads and hammies....sooo sore. I got back out there this morning though and did a 5 half training marathon. Today it's hard to sit...it's hard to stand, but at least I can still cross my legs, because I'm a lady.

Spark People has a great article on cross training for runners. Exercises that allow your muscles time to recover and slow down.
I like to lift, which I'm not technically sure is cross training...but I do it. I also like yoga...I need yoga. I have done a little of pool running while I get ready for this mini-triathlon on Sunday. (sunday, SUNday, SUNDAY!)

Lifting is great, because I believe it allows my muscles a chance to build strength. While I am running I feel I am not winded as easy after having lifted, because it helps me push through tough runs. According to LiveStrong lifting weights, or resistance training, strengthens your muscles and your bones! Stronger muscles and bones, helps to burn more calories.
I truly am regretting today how much time I have spent away from cross training though. I am a hurtin' sore foul today. When I work my best at cross training and resistance training I don't feel sore. I also start to feel pretty invincible when I lift. I have been paying attention to just how much I can lift and carry without losing my breath or feeling like I can't carry something.



I like to cross train with weights and yoga because I personally feel like it helps to tighten and tone my muscles. Helps me feel...well stronger.


I really feel like I can give my all when I do multiple different kinds of exercises. My runs are better, my grocery carrying skills get better. With yoga it helps my mood.
Cross training is just as important. It helps to build stamina...you have to, have to, have to cross train.

Alright, it's bedtime! G'night everyone!
Blessings,
A

Comments