Thirsty Thursday: Pumpkin Smoothie

My friend over at Reader's Anonymous ranted hilariously about how everything turns into pumpkin flavored everything just before the pumpkins ACTUALLY are harvested. Well it's officially pumpkin season and like most Americans...I LOVE everything pumpkin...I feel like this may not be a surprise to anyone. With that said...

Okay, not really but as someone who has to take in special considerations with food intake, I wanted to make sure that when I consume something that it's for the betterment of my health...not the opposite.

I want a pumpkin latte so bad but if you believe everything on the Internet there isn't actually any pumpkin in the pumpkin lattes at any local coffee shop. Makes me sad. Especially considering how good pumpkin is for you!

According to Live Strong some of the great things about pumpkin puree is that it is low in calories, high in fiber, good for your eyes, and is also rich in iron, which we need to help make hemoglobin and transport oxygen through our bodies.

So, this morning I took to the inter webs in search of the best Pumpkin drinks out there...I came across this amazing blog post over at With Style and Grace. Check out her original recipe. Mine is not to much different.

Ingredients :
1 cup frozen spinach
1 1/2 cups unsweetened Almond Milk
1 scoop of protein powder of your choice (I used the one I've been using SunWarrior Vegan Chocolate Blend)
1/4 cup of pumpkin puree
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tbsp honey
10 ice cubes


Directions:
Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth

It comes out looking VERY green because of the spinach but with the first taste, I was hooked. 



I used frozen spinach and dried seasonings because it's cheaper on the budget, but feel free to use fresh and whole seasonings when possible.

Really, tastes great. You can barely taste the spinach and it leaves a very fall flavor left over on the tongue as an after taste. It's great. It makes two servings. I really was interested in the Nutritional information for this shake, with the ingredients I used pictured above I plugged it into My Fitness Pal and here's what I came up with.

Total Fat: N/A Cholesterol: 347.8mg Potassium: 134.8mg Total Carbs: 16.7g (Fiber unfortunately wasn't registered using this app but I think it's 3g grams per serving) Sugars 10.4g Protein 4.8
High in vitamin A decent in calcium and some iron.

All in all...not bad as for as nutritional servings.

I really do want another serving...LOL...might just have it.

My diet has changed this week, as I am not currently in training for anything. I am having smaller breakfasts. This morning I only had 2 fried seasoned eggs and 3 prunes. After getting dinner ready ahead of time, and some house cleaning I also made this shake. For lunch I will have naked chicken wings, with baby carrots.
For dinner we are having Taco Bake, but I will post this recipe later after I do more research on the kind of cheese I used.
For snacks today, I will have pumpkin seeds, hard boiled eggs, and an apple with Almond Butter.

I'm sure I'll still be hungry so I'll let you know what else I come up with to eat, tomorrow.
Alright everyone, gotta get headed to work. Enjoy your Thursday!

Blessings,
A

Comments