Out of Sight, Out of Mind

You know those days that are particularly stressful? The others where you're starring down the barrel of a pan of brownies that you may or may not have already eaten 3 and half of? The kind of day that makes you just want to emotionally over eat until your soul and mind feel content? What do you do?

Well, I had a bit of a cheat at lunch yesterday, as there was a potluck at lunch. Don't worry, I kept it allergen friendly but...3 and a half brownies...in my defense they were little. Sort of two bite sizes each...so really...if I'm justifying it, it was really only like 1.5 brownies...2 at the most.
Ran into a particular stressor later yesterday and after bringing home the delicious soy/gluten/dairy free made from a box brownies I knew I wasn't going to be able to walk the emotional eating path, like I really wanted.



So, I got to work. I packed my bag for the gym, (Packed last night for today) I finished making dinner, put the laundry away...it may not have been folded but hey...you win some you lose some. Finished the dishes, and a smoothie ready for my afternoon snack (Made last night for today.) By the time I sat down to eat, it was to late to do anything else but eat dinner, and go to bed.

By the time I had time to even THINK about the brownies, I was all too exhausted to even want to unwrap them and eat them. Plus the feeling of guilt that would have inevitably followed, also wasn't worth it.
I had a full 32oz of lemon water and went to bed.

Sometimes when faced with stress and eating it really seems like finishing the pan seems like the best idea. It really does consume you. The food, whatever your poison is, whether it be chocolate, or chips, or hot wings...eating it makes it feel like you mind is calm and your heart has settled. Sometimes, usually, it leads to over whelming feelings of guilt to as you probably just consumed more in one sitting that you should in half your day.

If you check out helpguide.org they recommend identifying what is causing the emotional eating. Keep a journal, write down how you feel after you've consumed a pint of ice cream, or most importantly find other ways to "feed your feelings."

  • If you’re depressed or lonely, call someone who always makes you feel better, play with your dog or cat, or look at a favorite photo or cherished memento.
  • If you’re anxious, expend your nervous energy by dancing to your favorite song, squeezing a stress ball, or taking a brisk walk.
  • If you’re exhausted, treat yourself with a hot cup of tea, take a bath, light some scented candles, or wrap yourself in a warm blanket.
  • If you’re bored, read a good book, watch a comedy show, explore the outdoors, or turn to an activity you enjoy (woodworking, playing the guitar, shooting hoops, scrap booking, etc.).
For me, out of sight, out of mind works. Once I got occupied with house chores I wasn't thinking about eating. I was mentally working through what was stressing me out. Although, when I still couldn't come to a conclusion I decided to sleep on it.

A wise woman recently told me "If you can't stop thinking about it, talk about it. If it overwhelms you, sleep on it." Some things just look better in the morning.

After sleeping on the issue, and then talking to someone, I feel much better. I even portioned out my chips for lunch. Making up for yesterday ;)

Take time to think, when you can't think through it, talk about it. When it's overwhelming. Put it bed, literally and figuratively.
It will look better in the morning. When all else fails busy hands occupy an idle mind.



Blessings Everyone,
A

Comments