Research, Research, Research

I got to meet up with one of my very first best friends this morning. She's in town for a reunion, but I was able to snag a bit of time with her. We had a great morning just talking and sharing and disussing.

We eventually landed on the subject of food. How I avoid certain things because this research article says that, and that research article says this.

I tend to say things but then end up back tracking AFTER I do the research later. As in, I tend to shoot first ask questions later. She had asked why I speficially stay away from the foods and I wanted to give a well educated answer.

I went to the one place I know that has science based research articles.

The thing to keep in mind though is, Science is every changing. New things are discovered new tests are always done. So while it may say one thing today, it might possibly say one thing tomorrow.

What I hope though is encourage you to make educated decisions on your diet and not just jump on a band wagon of generaliziations because a certain dot com website told me it was the best thing for me.

With PCOS I experience annovulation. Meaning I don't always ovulate. Basically. One of the best ways to help control this is with DIET and exercise. Making sure I have the right balance. Moderation for PCOS is key.

I headed over to ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/ where I know that I could find evidence base facts on why I eat the way I eat--specifically related to Poly Cycstic Ovarian Syndrome.

Quite honestly I will tell you though, I am a plain spoken woman. I had to send some of these articles to a friend of mine to help my brain unfuzz and unscramble the jigsaw.

The research while not entirely conclusive according to "The Relationship between Intake of Dairy Products and Polycystic Ovary Syndrome in Women Who Referred to Isfahan University of Medical Science Clinics in 2013" Article did have some very interesting eye opening points.

"Chavarro et al. in their prospective cohort study found that high intake of low-fat dairy products may lead to an increase in the women's risk of ovulation-related infertility, while incorporating more high-fat dairy foods may decrease its risk."

However, with Insulin Restitance, which I am, the article had this to say. "As for consuming dairy foods and insulin resistance relationship, a cross-sectional study conducted on 496 samples of participants aged 20-68 aged in 2009 can be enumerated. This study tried to assess the amounts of consumed dairy foods using a food history questionnaire the validity of which had been checked. Based on the results, compared with other groups, the samples situated on the top quarter of the intake of dairy products had the lowest mean scores for insulin resistance markers. Although the observed differences were not statistically significant, eating whole-fat dairy products was inversely associated with HOMA-IR. In contrast, there was no relationship between low-fat dairy products and insulin resistance markers"

The research article seems to go back and forth (Oh how my brain hurts) 

The conclusion at the end of the article though was a push for more research "Based on the findings of the study, milk intake and prevalence of PCOS may be related in some way. Due to the adverse health effects of this condition, its high prevalence in the society as well as the shortage of research on the effectiveness of diets on preventing and treating it, the need to more research is felt. In the future research, it is better to address laboratory practices such as thyroid, prolactine and sexual hormones, as well."



Although if you want a more plain spoken research article, written by a doctor check out the PCOS Diva article written by Dr. Lara Briden, ND "The Problem with Dairy"  you can check out her website here.

Comments