Losing Weight Isn't Easy, It's Science


Science, for me, was a bit hard in my school days. While fascinating, I never could quite get enough of the piece of the puzzle together to really make everything click and stick in my brain. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses or gifts and non-gifts. Science wasn't particularly one of mine. Especially chemistry.


There are so many things out there telling you calories in versus calories out or reduce your carbs, or fat is bad for you! Oh goodness...My head spins just thinking about everything that is out there. The truth is, losing weight isn't easy. If it was everyone would lose what they needed to lose and there wouldn't be a multi-lot-of-dollar signs-money attached to the idea of losing weight and losing it fast.


To me (again I'm not a scientist OR doctor, so feel free to correct me OR poo-poo me in a nice manner please...I'm still human after all.) losing weight is really more trial and error. What works for one person won't necessarily work for another person. I cut carbs, lost weight. My sister counts calories, she loses weight. My mom doesn't count calories OR carbs, rather just pays attention to portion size and going to Jazzercise, she loses weight. It's different for everyone, you have to find what works for you, not mainstream media.


I would suggest if you're trying to lose weight start by logging your food. Any good scientist writes down their data, right? You might find you're actually eating to much sugar, or in fact not eating enough to support your body. From their use your data and apply that towards your fitness goals. Some people eat healthy and never workout...some people eat like crap and constantly workout. There's a balance there for most of us, the key is to finding that balance. The one where your body says "GOODBYE adipose tissue! Hello healthier version of myself!"


I wish I could write you all a meal plan and work out regime that will bring you what your dreams desire (Although I'm not a nutritionist or a personal trainer...I have talked to many! And done quite a bit of research on my own....but that doesn't make me either of those things.) however, I can't. Weight loss is also a mental thing. If you lose weight that's great! But if you don't identify the bad habits that caused you to gain the weight, you won't be able to stop yourself from repeating those actions and gaining weight again. (This has to be the x+4=10, find x problem)






It's time to put on our thinking caps this week and look into the science of losing weight. Don't be afraid to try something new if counting calories isn't working. Don't be afraid to restrict your carbs OR EAT MORE CARBS, (Did I scream that out of hunger? Or out of a reduced sugar haze?) When all else fails just remember what Ms. Frizzle from the Magic School bus taught us all as kids.



Try a new recipe in the kitchen! You'll know pretty quickly once you had too much of something or not enough of something, you won't be making that mistake again. And get sweaty!

Tomorrow I'll be able to break down some more science for you by explaining WHEN to eat before and after a workout and WHAT to eat before and after a workout. Timing your eating can also help you cut fat and lose weight.

Blessings Everyone, hope you're having a great Tuesday!
A

Comments