Don't Let the Numbers Define You

First, I apologize that I didn't get a chance to post yesterday, we got home late from the farm. I had an incredible weekend helping work the cattle and calves. It was fun to be a part of the day to day stuff of farm life. I always enjoy doing that.



Cuuuuttteeee baby calf's! This one is new! A few days to a few weeks old. It was so cool to see the mom's birth them, then take care of them. Back to nature, to me coming up the weekend of branding always reminds to get out of my head, to rediscover God's green earth.

Anyway, today I saw this awesome post on Buzzfeed and thought it was more important that anything else I was going to post about today.

I've been struggling with wanting to throw my scale out. I'm afraid I don't trust myself enough to stay on track, I guess without weighing myself. I'd love to lose body fat, and continue to tone my muscles, lean out basically. I put on a pair of pants that are generally my...'skinnier jeans' and they fit pretty good today! I've got to be building muscle or losing inches or both...the point being is, not letting a number define me. Whether my weight, my BMI, or my pant size. We all know size is relative to brands anyway...it's hard to say "I AM THIS..." When really you are one size in a dress, another in a pair of jeans...etc.

To help drive this point home, as I said above, I found this great buzzfeed article. A 14-Year-Old Girl Just Totally Nailed Why Body Mass Index Makes No Sense,  she answered a health quiz question but basically writing an essay on why she wasn't going to answer it. Click the link for the full article.

 "BMI is an outdated way of defining normal weight, under weight, over weight, and obesity by taking one person’s height divided by their weight. One of the formula’s obvious flaws, explains Alan Aragon, the Men’s Health Weight Loss Coach and nutritionist in California, is that it has absolutely no way of discriminating fat and muscle. So, let’s say there is a fairly athletic woman who maintains a decent diet, she’s five feet, six inches, and she weighs 190 pounds, but 80% of her body is muscle. That doesn’t matter when calculating BMI! This woman’s BMI would be 30.7, and she would be labeled obese. Does that make sense to you? Because it sure doesn’t make sense to me."

Another interesting bit I learned from the article "NPR’s Keith Devlin explains, “It makes no allowance for the relative proportions of bone, muscle and fat in the body. But bone is denser than muscle and twice as dense as fat, so a person with strong bones, good muscle tone and low fat will have a high BMI. Thus, athletes and fit, health-conscious movie stars who work out a lot tend to find themselves classified as overweight or even obese."

 (photo credit in photo)

You are more than a number. 
Blessings, 
A

Comments