Proper Running Form

Yesterday I wrote about helping spread awareness for PCOS. I also talked a little about managing your symptoms. Two ways I manage my symptoms are by diet and exercise. I haven't done a meal planning list in a long while, but I am hoping to get you my menu for this week soon...need to finish that grocery list first :)
(Although right now I am reading 'The Husbands Secret', ((For book club))and I've just come to one of the most pivotal points of the book...hard to to believe that story is only half over!!! AAH!! So...that grocery list might be awhile...EEK! LOL...I digress)

My favorite way to manage my PCOS symptoms is by exercising! I LOVE running...but you probably know that if you've been reading my blog for awhile. I've talked lately about how I am trying to adjust my form because I have been having knee problems after I get done running. I'm also trying to slow my minute per mile to a more sustainable pace, since I'll been running my first FULL MARATHON (26.2 MILES) in January. (I'm not nervous. I'm actually excited and the way I've been feeling after my runs the last 3 times...I get more excited)

I sometimes get caught up in the moment of the run though and just go all out. Leaving me feeling depleted and in pain.

You know, the thing you shouldn't do when running...or exercising...or just life in general.

Iron Woman and I have been looking more about what is proper running form? Do we REALLY need to be running on the forefoot of our feet? How do we keep the pain at bay?

For questions like this we turn to the experts. Iron Woman asked one of the guys at the local running store, and he said 'To focus more on running so that when your foot lands it lands under your hips, (Runners world says to even keep your foot under your knee) essentially you have to shorten your stride and increase steps so you don't put as much pressure on your body. When your foot lands further in front (or behind) your body has to catch up essentially.'

Runner's World has a great article on this entitled 'Proper Running Form'. They cover going up hill and down hill as well as making sure that you have the proper foot wear, and are taking care of yourself.

So whether you strike with your forefoot or your heel just make sure it's in line with your hips/knees. A good way to do this is to slow down and pay attention to your body. Try running without music once or twice to really get a feel for how your body feels.

Don't forget to stretch after you run too. Stretching helps keep the muscles loose and fluid and prevents them from becoming stiff after working out.


Blessings,
A

Comments