PCOS Diet Part 1

I'm slowly on the mend, very slowly. My ma, the nurse, told me this particular cold will last two and half weeks, so I've got another week to go I think...

I'm feeling better than I have in awhile though today! I got some great cleaning and organizing done through the house this morning! WOO! However, now I'm coughing up a storm again so I'm sitting to blog before I head back into work today.

In my cleaning spree I came across something my nutritionist gave me about two years ago. The nutritionist I saw was very knowledgeable about Poly-Cycstic Ovaries and what it means to eat with a PCOS diet in mind.

Since September is PCOS Awareness Month I really wanted to share this information!




Therapeutic Nutrition Guidelines for PCOS: (Pulling Down the Moon)

1. Anti-Inflammatory Diet: Limit Refined and added sugars, omit trans-fat and limit pro-inflammatory omega-6 fats found in corn, soybean, cottonseed, and sunflower oils.

2. Healthy Oils- increase omega-3 fatty acids (fish, leafy greens, walnuts, beans, winter squash, etc.) fish oil supplements-- these are all good for hormone control and are anti-inflammatory

3. Blood Sugar Control - eat carbs that are rich in fiber, they have a lower impact on blood sugar levels and help maintain a good hormonal balance.

4. Eliminate caffeine/alcohol - They may interfere with the liver's ability to detoxify toxins and hormones. (Well, I haven't been so great on this one. I've definitely been enjoying wine and coffee lately...need to work on only having one a week, coffee...I gave up wine over labor day in order to train better and not slow me down, laughable since I've done nothing but sit with this cold!)

5. High Fiber- Fiber increases clearance of estrogen through the digestive tract and aids the body in detoxifying estrogenic compounds. Improving digestion in women with PCOS can help relieve painful menses and PMS.  (Tip, so does increased protein and a Gatorade right before your period. Remind me to come back to this.)

6-9 -  B-vitamins help women metabolize hormones and are vital to the process of ovulation. Watch how many carbs you take in, in one sitting, as well as what TYPE of carb you are eating. Also eat your fruit and vegetables, plenty of antioxidants to help do a body good. Eat one serving (AT LEAST) of cruciferous vegetables per day. Things like cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, etc.) to help with estrogen metabolism. Also, eat legumes (JUST NOT SOYBEANS!!! For pcosers) They are rich in protein, fiber, folate and iron, all essential nutrients when trying to conceive. (Just a reminder Legumes are chickpeas, black beans, kidney beans, navy beans, black-eyed beans...noms!)

Oh boy...so much information, but also a good reminder for me to clean up my diet a little. Alright, I gotta get ready and get to work. Woo! Bleh, lol...tomorrow I'll be back to talk about a low glycemic diet and good supplements for PCOSers

Blessings,
A

Comments