PCOS Diet Part 2

I would say one of my biggest symptoms, in regards to my PCOS, is my insulin resistance. I honestly don't quite fully understand it. I know I have to take metformin to control my hormones. To watch my carbs so that my androgen levels stay low, but why? Why does my body do that?

(Photo Credit in Photo)

I am writing again today with more information from Pulling Down the Moon, they recommend consuming a low glycemic diet for fertility. "This is important because your ovaries are quite sensitive to insulin, the hormone that regulates the uptake of blood sugar. When levels of insulin become higher than normal, insulin can 'invade' hormone receptors on the ovaries that are designed for reproductive hormones and disrupt communication in the hypothalamic-pituitary axis. In addition, high levels of insulin can cause the cells in the ovarian tissues to over-produce androgens, such as testosterone."

Basically meaning, we have sensitive ovaries. When we don't eat right, the ovaries defense shields are taken over and then sort of turn on us, and produce double agents. In spy speak.

Pulling Down the Moon recommends a few simple tricks to following a low glycemic diet.

*Avoid highly processed, 'white' and sugary foods. As in pasta, cookies, white potatoes, french fries, potato chips, corn chips...candy...I could go on.
*Keep refined added sugar to less than 10% of total dietary calories. This one is a little confusing, basically just keep in mind what added sugars you are eating. While a small snack size snickers bar is 'fine' this Halloween a king size is horrible.
* Carbohydrates should come from fruits, vegetables, legumes, and whole grains (EAT THOSE VEGGIES and Fruit is quite delicious. The sweetness can act as a 'sugary' snack.)
*Se strategies for controlling blood sugar and avoiding the roller-coaster ride that perpetuates sugar cravings.

Some things that help me stay on track.
Eat every 3-4 hours.
Drink TONS of water
Consume low amounts of caffeine and alcohol
Fill my plate with whole, natural foods such as meats, fruits, vegetables, quinoa, oats etc.
Also, ALWAYS eat carbs with a protein or a fat. The protein and fat help slow the rise in your blood sugar levels that Carbohydrates might have. For instance today my afternoon snack are blueberries, pumpkin seeds, and hard boiled eggs whites. I'm actually really looking forward to eating again.

Check out Dr. Sarah Solomon's web article on the difference between Glycemic Index vs Glycemic Load.

Blessings,
A

Comments