Sunday Runday: Thoughts from a run.

I read once, probably in runners world magazine or the Hal Higdon guide to running a half marathon, that you should always end a running feeling refreshed and like you could do more. You shouldn't deplete yourself to the point of exhaustion. It would be nice if life was like that, ending something, feeling like you could still do more, or go on and do it again.

However, life is messy and painful. No matter what life event, be it a break-up, a job loss, infertility; not getting the promotion you wanted, dead-end friendships, death of a loved one; cancer...whatever it is that brings heartbreak into our lives, it's there.

I feel being a runner has taught me to survive when things get tough. To keep pushing forward. When I spend time in the word, going to church, listening to Christian music, it teaches me to thrive.

I feel a little closer to center today. It feels good. It could be a long needed runners high, or could just be that I'm making choices that are improving my mental health. I forgot how hard making healthy choices are. Staring down the plate of french fries while out to dinner. (I know, first world problems.) However, these healthy choices, ARE helping me feel better.

We have to continue to do what helps us survive and thrive. I've been re-watching season 5 of the Walking Dead, and there's beautiful moment in episode 10, where Maggie and Sasha are sitting on a log. The journey to this point in the story line has been difficult. (As anything would be in a post-apocalyptic world.) They each, very recently, lost someone. A boyfriend, a brother. A sister. The heat of the sun beating off the pavement, the constant threat of death. No food or water. Things were getting bleak. Then in the middle, a storm rolls in. They take shelter in a barn that smells of horse poop and rotting flesh. Just when you think that this is the worst of it, a tornado comes in and destroys everything around them. Each survivor bars the door from what might be intruding zombies. They do it together. Holding the barn doors closed with just their body weight, in a pack to keep death at bay for just one more night.


After the storm has passed, the next morning at the break of dawn Maggie takes Sasha outside. Sasha says, 'Why are we here?' Maggie replies 'For this.' Indicating the sun rising over the tall grass and broken trees.


Later on, Maggie says "You're going to make it. Both of us. We will. That's the hard part."

You have to get through your storm, your long journey, the bleakness, in order to see the sun rise again.


As Glen said earlier in the episode "We can make it together but we can ONLY make it together." Just know in this life, no matter where you, no matter what is happening, no matter how bleak it looks. You are not alone. We can get through this together.



Blessings,
A

Comments

Unknown said…
I love this.

My training is the main reason I'm not a runner now. Army says that if you finish the run feeling able to do more, you didn't run hard enough. I said on multiple occasions that not wanting to throw up after a PT test meant I could have done better. The Army wants you to go beyond you best and they end up using you up. Your take is much healthier all around. Keep it up.
agoerunnergirl said…
Thank you Jo!! That sounds hard! I mean I sometimes push to hard but more often than not I think exercise should leave you feeling invigorated.