Weekly Update: Mental Challenge

Well, another week down since my last post and I still haven't felt overly motivated to post anything. I don't want you to get bored with my posts, I always love when you come and read and talk to me about my blog posts, I think life has just been happening outside of the keyboard again. Which is evident of the emails I've been getting from Body building/Body Space. When I got it tells me things like this "You had an awesome tricep week! The 902lbs you lifted with your calves this week is a new personal high! Keep up the good work" Makes me sound like a beast! I get what it means but I don't understand the impact it's having on my health, as of yet.

I decided doing two workouts a day isn't a bad thing when I sit for about 9 hours a day. I'm using my stand up desk a little more, but mostly I'm back to the low carb life. It's weird how good it makes me feel. I feel like I have more energy. If I put my scientist hat on, it's probably because everything processed is high in carbs and sugar and whole foods that are low glycemic my body is able to use and process more properly.

It did occur to me though, this last week how MUCH of a mental challenge lowing weight or changing my body shape is. We have to change our way of thinking about ourselves, about our bodies. We are beautiful no matter what size we are. That's a fact. Are we healthy? Are we comfortable? What do we need to do to be comfortable in our bodies?

As I was trying on some outfits for an upcoming trip we're taking, I realized just HOW MUCH WEIGHT I've gained since our last trip...my clothes from last summer are WAY to small. Some I couldn't even button, some fit but I had major muffin top and unfortunately I don't own any shirts that could make that look good. However, I'm trying to celebrate where my body is at now, while striving to do better every day. I want to be comfortable. I want to be fast on my feet when I run. I want to feel confident. I felt confident when I was running more, when I was running faster, when I was counting my carbs. I've done this carb counting before. I know I can do it again but I've been slow to finding the wagon this time around.

The mental part of losing weight is saying to yourself in the mirror 'Look at those gams! I can see muscle definition. Healthy hair, mesmerizing eyes." It's convincing your brain to get out of bed at 5:30am to make to the gym. It's telling yourself you don't need the biscuit or rice with dinner, you just want it. When you can have broccoli or fruit instead.

It's reminding myself that the temporary sacrifice is worth the payoff. It's walking away from the chocolate in the break room, or having half a serving because you're trying to fit your macro goals.

Losing weight isn't about going to the gym 24 hours a day. It's about directing your thoughts towards more healthy patterns. 


Losing weight/getting healthy, is a mental challenge because it's redirecting your thoughts away from bad habits. It's controlling your intake and managing your output (exercise and rest.)


Eat well. Eat whole. Speak well of yourself. Think well of yourself. Love yourself. I promise you're worth the love, effort, and sacrifice it takes to achieve your dreams.

Alright, I have got to get out of here.
Many blessings,
A


Comments

Anonymous said…
That bit about "going to the gym for an hour is easy but choosing what you put on your plate the other 23 hours" is hard really hit home!!! I feel so awful so much of the time that I've gotten used to it. It hurts to walk, it's awkward getting up out of a chair or a car, and it's a little scary going down steps. I can't find clothing that doesn't look like a modified tent, so I don't shop. It will be a long time before I can look at myself and love what I see, and sometimes it seems as if that time will never come. Then I read your blog, and I keep cracking on.
Unknown said…
Love this! The mind is a POWERFUL force and retraining it can take a lifetime. But even little changes can make a big difference in your jourmey. I appreciate you taking the time to share, especially when you aren't motivated to. Sometimes you have to put the cart before the horse, so to speak. Do your task and hope the motivation comes later.
agoerunnergirl said…
You both are super smart ladies. Thank you for the love. You can love yourself at any size and any age mama F. It's hard but you have to train your brain to do so.
Thank you Jo! I guess in this instance, putting the cart before the horse might be good!