Weekly Update: Real Life

I don't know about you but I think I'm starting to understand "Insta culture", where people only post the best of themselves. I don't think this is subjective to Instagram though, in general all of social media. Most people are going to post what makes them look the best. I think it's just this idea of a heavily filtered life, where you make your own almond butter, drink green smoothies for breakfast, go to the gym twice a day then lie around on the beach making sanding castles.

None of those things are bad. However, when we start to play the comparison games of thinking someone else's life is perfect, then we begin to fail ourselves. 

We begin to see our life as we think it should be, not how it is. We don't honor our own paths. I say all this, because recently I had the viral cold (or allergies, REALLY bad allergies...it's still a toss up.) that had been going around my office. I was out for a week and a half. No exercising and lots and lots of water and rest. I still had to participate in work, and keeping a neat house, but I chose a night of staying in, sick on the couch rather than going out with friends.
I'm attempting to reach my carb count goals to lose weight, but I've basically blown most of the last week.

Sometimes our journey to health or stages in our life we will see more valley's than hills. On Sunday I got my laces tied and headed out for a kettle bell class on Sunday with the Bombshell. The glass was interesting, and they weren't kidding when they advertised it as a sweat session. Come Monday my legs were smoked (meaning tired and sore). However, I've slept incredible every night since then. On Tuesday I worked on my upper body with some strength building. I have yet to get back to Murph training. I'll need when I get back from vacation next week.

This is what life looks like. This is what fitness looks like. It's not tight buns, abs of steel, or 12 eggs whites every day. Those things are not bad in and of themselves, but we cannot chase them to the point of unhappiness. Fitness is and should be about trying your damnedest to keep progressing, no matter how many times you get knocked down. 

What makes you happy? For my cubicle mate, she's using resistant bands to train and drinking more water. For others it's dead lifting 600lbs. (Is that even possible...que my ADD and google search engine skills... turns out, yes that is a real and it is in fact possible.)
Healthy is choosing nuts and cranberries over reeses peanut butter cups at the gas station on your way back to work. Healthy is packing your gym bags, not making it the gym, but tracking your meals anyway. Healthy is resting well, drinking water, lifting weights; doing yoga, eating your vegetables, running.
Move. Eat your vegetables. Laugh. Practice Gratitude. When you can't make to the gym, or you have the plague (not literally...)  do what you can, leave the rest.


I'm off. Practice gratitude.

I'm thankful for you ;)
Blessings,
A

Comments