For The Mommas

I wanted to take a day and show some love towards the mommas in my life. If you read my blog with any regularity or know that I blog about infertility, I want to take a moment and acknowledge you. I pray for you, I love you, and please know that you are not alone. I posted on Wednesday about being a mom in the making, if you need some encouragement this weekend, please head over to that post. Otherwise I did want to take a minute and let you know this post might be a trigger for some of us. I hate to say it, but it did take me a minute to wrap my head around writing about other people's pregnancy journeys but as Romans 12:15 ESV says "rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep.".

If you're like me, come back to this post when you're ready otherwise, I'll be back to blabbering about myself on Monday ;)
Ready? Go!

With Mrs. America and Iron woman working their bumps this Spring and Summer, plus my sister and sister in law having their little fur-less babies, I wanted to take a moment and really talk about how hard it can be to not only be healthy during pregnancy but how it's hard to wrap your mind around body changes.

You're not getting fat, you're growing a lung! However as Iron Woman states, "It feels the same as getting fat!"

I recently spoke with my sister in law about some advice she might have for those who are pregnant and using my own knowledge, we created a list of TOP TEN TIPS for all moms, no matter your stage of life.

1. Listen to your body, if it hurts stop!

2. If you weren't a runner before you probably won't be a runner during pregnancy. On the other side of the spectrum, if you were an athlete before don't be discouraged if you're not producing the same results. Pregnancy can come with it's own set of challenges. You're tired. Your body hurts in new places, plus the added hormones. It's important to remember to listen to your body and your doctor. For all other moms: Are you pre-menopausal, post-menopausal? You're going to feel different, your body is different. Celebrate this phase of life as you blossom into a more mature woman with knowledge and confidence. You've been there, done that, and you're NOT afraid to talk about it.

3. THE MOST IMPORTANT: DO NOT COMPARE YOURSELF TO OTHERS! 
As woman this is something we all do. No matter what we look like. No matter how old we are. No matter if we've had 17 kids or zero kids. We all compare ourselves to the woman next to us.
It's time we stop! 
My mom did it, my sister is doing her best NOT to do it...but it's so hard. Am I gaining to much because I'm pregnant? Am I feeding at the right time? Am I a terrible mother because I can't breastfeed or because my kid is awake ALL DAY WITH NO NAP?
You need to do what works for you and your baby, or your family! At some point you have to say 'Screw it! This is making us miserable, we're not going to go with the norm. What will make us happy as a unit?' What can I wear that's going to make me feel comfortable and sexy? What is healthy for me?



4. Preggos: Start doing hip stretches. For the more advanced mom: Add in that strength training! It's important for bone health. Take this time to exercise and enjoy your body. Move, act, think as if you love your body and all the amazing things it can do.

5. Get your significant other involved, family walks, cooking together, bike riding, planting a garden. I've noticed how some hubby's aren't great at the supporting healthy eating habits, which can make it hard for the moms. You don't want to cook 4 separate meals each night for dinner, but you do want to do what's right for your body. If it means swapping out lettuce for a bun then do it. Don't be discouraged when he doesn't join right away. You know that quote from 'My Big Fat Greek Wedding', it is the man who makes the decision but it is the woman who turns the neck.
Eventually at some point, he'll see your progress and want to join in...even if it is one night a week.



6. Embrace your cravings. For preggos don't use eating for two as an excuse. Take a minute to decide if it's a want or a craving. For moms at different stages of the game, it's the same as anyone, every now and then, you need to have a cheat meal. You'll go crazy trying to be strict all the time. Eventually if you're too hard you'll lose everything. You can absolutely go big or go home, but it can also play games on your mind. You'll feel like a failure if you slip of once. Life happens! It's okay to accidentally eat an entire pint of ice cream. One time over the course of weeks or months is not going to make one difference in the long run. Take time to ask yourself, a craving, a need, or want? Craving, YES!!! EAT IT! A need or need or want? Time to ask tougher questions such as am I eating this to feel better, or am I eating this to fit in my macros?

7. Dancing is the best and easiest way for cardio. Find a zumba class! The bombshell, goes to zumba. I can't tell you how many times she says 'I cannot move my butt like that.' But she still goes! If you're not a runner, that's fine, but cardio is important. It helps improve heart health, increases metabolism, improves hormonal profile, (My what? Cardio releases 'feel good' hormones that will help ease symptoms of depression and fatigue as well as releasing hormones that decrease the appetite...((not sure about that, cause I can eat a mountain when I'm done running.)) Cardio also improves recovery ability, plus it helps with management of diabetes and insulin levels. 

8. For the preggos: If you didn't work out before being pregnant start out slow. Go for walks or take the stairs instead of the elevator. For all other moms: Same advice. Start with a family walk. Go to the park, stand and walk while they place. Get a stand up desk at work, jog in place during the commercials at dinner...you might look a little weird, but you'll get it done. Every little bit counts. 

9. It's okay to have lazy days. I say truth to that. I have scheduled rest days, ain't nothin' wrong with that. I'm not a mom yet, but I can tell you for sure I DO NOT COOK on Friday nights. I cook 5-6 days a week. Breakfast, lunch, and Dinner! Usually for 2 people. Friday nights are my nights off. Don't feel as if you have to be super woman. You already are, in your own way!

10. Rest. Embrace the sleep while you can. I like this. With an impending birth your bound to not be sleeping much after that...or for the next 18 years. I hear the joke is, if you want your kids to leave you alone, don't close your eyes. The minute you sit, sigh, and close your eyes, they come out from the depths of hell looking for a reason to annoy you...lol...or something to that effect. Having kids, raising kids. That's hard! No matter how you choose to do it though, make it healthy and don't forget to rest when you can. Even God took a rest break. 


Happy mothers day to all my friends and family celebrating this day. 
Blessings, 
A

Comments