I went on a food bender

I dove deep into overeating this last week. I can't even describe what tipped it off, could be hormones, could be emotions. Although...I think by now, Monday night, I might have put my finger on it. Only time will tell.

In the meantime, I made a decision yesterday to pause using the new protein powder I picked up as well as the lean greens from Yoli. I have been using them together in shakes, but one of them is tearing my tummy apart and causing major gastrointestinal problems. Which might also be why I've been in a brain fog, super moody/cranky. I plan to slowly start introducing both products bake into my diet to see which one is the cause. However, this week's focus is to get my gut health in line.

I'll be eating a pretty clean diet for the most part. I'll share my menu with you on Thursday.

I can't say I was very motivated last week to be my best self. It was a struggle. I had been doing SO WELL up until Monday night/Tuesday and just one little thing turned into a wicked hot mess. I let my emotions get the better of me and I tried to eat them away.

Part of the problem I realized, today, is my way of thinking...yes...back to that old pirate way of thinking...




It has been strongly weighing on me...literally and figuratively, the weight that I've put on. No...not everyone can see, but I can feel it.
Physically it's in my feet and ankles during and after a run. I'm more tired than I used to be a few years ago. Emotionally, I feel like I've let everyone down, including myself because I couldn't keep the weight off. Then just today, it occurred to me...I'm a "before picture" again.

Don't get me wrong, I loved taking before and after pictures! I was so proud of the weight I had lost, I just wanted to encourage everyone that it was possible to achieve dreams and get to your "goal weight".

Weight...that number...it's such an elusive concept. The scale doesn't take into account fat vs muscle percentage. It tells you your gravitational pull on the earth at that moment in time, a snap shot- if you will- of what might possibly be, quite literally...your weight.

A pound of butter, a pound of cookies.
A pound of feathers, a pound of bricks.

They look completely different but weigh the same. Ultimately what we should all want is to be healthier. Yes...you don't want to be obese as that can cause cardio vascular issues, put you at risk for diabetes, high blood pressure, joint pain etc. (which most can also be hereditary.)
You also don't want to be anorexic as that comes with it's own health challenges.
YOU ARE YOU THOUGH. YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL NO MATTER WHAT YOU WEIGH.

I think God was really trying to put it on my heart this week that, it doesn't matter that I've gained some weight. Yes...I need to continue to monitor my intake, eating clean, drinking enough water, and exercising, but ultimately I think he wanted me to know, this is just a season. In life we gain weight, we lose weight. We're joyous and we're sad. Each of these last only a season. Some seasons are quite longer than others...sometimes...PAINFULLY LONGER, but how we choose to react in those seasons is what can make the season of waiting harrowing or learning journey. In these seasons of distress we can lean into his love, knowing that we are never alone in our suffering.

I have to share this post I came across on instagram over the weekend. It spoke volumes to my heart, and really helped me realize that...it's okay that I'm in the season I'm in. The post is by PCOS Support Girl. She is a courageous woman who fights back but is also very real about her struggles in life. I want to share with you an exert.

"Yes- two years ago I was smaller. I was also unknowingly sinking back into disordered eating, depression and self loathing. I was over exercising, under eating and neglecting my mental health. 
So when you look at this, you only see one dimension. In two years, my life has imploded and exploded and changed and I’ve had my heart shattered and lost myself and found myself and recommitted myself to recovery and to being as honest and transparent about it all. 
But at the end of the day, I👏🏻DONT👏🏻HAVE👏🏻TO👏🏻JUSTIFY👏🏻MY👏🏻BODY."

She goes onto say "... If you want to change your body, do it for you. If you want to do literally anything you want, own it. All of it. Life gets a lot easier when you decide who you are, and be living proof of it."

I don't think we should ever just give up on health, but continually strive for progress. NOT PERFECTION. We all, also have our own standards of perfection. I follow a body builder/bikni contestant/personal trainer on Instagram (MeganDavis6), she follows a STRICK diet, STRICK workout schedule. She is in it to win. The thing that I think I like most about her though is that she doesn't focus on her body as a means to say "look at me" she is also VERY GOOD at promoting happiness. She talks about how important it is to have a good attitude to be grateful, to love those around you. She's real about where she started just 5 years ago! But think of that time and effort it takes. 

Progress. Not perfection. Patience. Consistently persistent.  

I needed each of these reminders last week as I lost myself in a vat of popcorn, wine, and chocolate. 

(picture credit: abc)

Today, I am going to honor my body. I ran 3 miles...nearly beat the ran home, but it felt great. Two back to back consistent miles then 1 negative split! Ate clean, drank my water...and now I need to food prep for tomorrow. 
I'll be hitting the gym in the am.
Oh! And I've stopped weighing myself everyday. It was beginning to be crazy stressful. I've decided on every 3 to 5 days to keep an eye on my progress as well as take measurements. 

For now...I'm, honoring where I'm at and that's okay. 

How do you plan to honor your health this week?

P.s. This song!! You've got to listen to it! My anthem song this week...month? YEAR!




Blessings,
A

Comments