On the Move: Garmin Forerunner 235 Review

I didn't want to wait two whole weeks to post, but I also want to make sure I have something worth saying. I've been so focused on finding my own motivation, embracing the suck, and doing what needs to be done in order to keep myself healthy, that I haven't thought much about typing out a blog post.

I'm still mostly avoiding the scale, my clothes fit fine. Jeans are still a little snug, but not bad. With Iron Woman getting closer to her due date, and work conflicts it's been hard to find time to work out together. However, this week, I did a pretty good job of getting stuff done.

This past weekend I picked up the Garmin Forerunner 235. It was easy to set up and connect to my phone. I was on a learning curve as the last GPS watch I had, only tracked my runs, pace and time, maybe elevation if I plugged it into the computer because it had a built in drive...that was it.

The Garmin Forerunner can track my regular workouts, sleep patterns, I can link it to myfitnesspal. Counts my steps, checks my heart rate, and even send me notifications from my phone.


I had it connected and ready to go in about a day, but it probably took me an extra day to figure out how or what I want the settings to look as well as how to format the watch for workouts. It's been very helpful in keeping me on track with my goals. I haven't had the greatest diet this week but it's motivated me to be more active. Since I was able to link it to My Fitness Pal account, I now have an accurate measurement of what my caloric deficit might be, or overage...may be.
With having a sedentary job it's been hard. I do have  stand up desk, but it's not always convenient to use. Now that I've moved desks again, it'll be at least a week before they get my stand up desk put up. Although, the new desk location...I'll be able to get more steps in during the day!

In my heart of hearts, I want the complete meaningless badge showing that I walked 5,000 steps for 60 days. How cool would that be? Going on day 6 as of today! Weee!!! It tracks my sleep patterns. I can tell you after a week of wearing it, I feel more energized the next day when I get at least 4 hours of deep sleep or REM cycle. Intermittent with lighter sleep of a minimum of 3 hrs.

We also got a Kitten recently! He's so cute, but he's kind of a little monster.

He is into everything! The first night we let him wander around the house, the next morning, he wanted to play tackle...with my face...while I was still asleep. That was fun. He also likes to climb up and down the side of the bed. I'm learning to clip cat nails...apparently that's a thing.

Mostly though, I've learned I've got to get him moving before bed, so he stays asleep longer at night. This includes everything from running up and down the hallway to walking circles around the dog bed, picking up the ball he's chased to far under the couch. (Side note, I gave the dog a bath the other night in the tub...He wanted to see what it was about. I set him on the ledge and he sat there and silently judged her, because he's a cat, that's what they do. "Silly animal, how come you don't know how to bath yourself?" It was kind of funny)
Before I gush to much about how Ms. B is handling the new little B, I'll go onto say that all of these things are helping me stay focused. The more I move, the better I feel. I have an accurate representation of my movements as of late thanks to my Garmin and right now I'm pretty satisfied with the results.
My diet...well I will keep plugging away at it as I always do, for now, I can say I feel like I am performing better in the gym. Sadly, it's also been 7 days and I haven't been able to take the Garmin out for it's maiden voyage yet. Hoping tomorrow morning I'll finally get a run in.
Kind of looking forward to using my watch and finding out what my VO2 Max might be. (Apparently this is also a thing.)

I think I forgot to mention that it also has a great do not disturb button, so if I don't want notifications I can ignore them. Or if I do, I can take a quick glance see if it's worth replying and act accordingly if it's important. It has a sleep mode, which I haven't been brave enough to try. It also has a battery saving mode...haven't quite figured that out yet. Today I'll be testing how the logging a workout section works.

Lastly for cost, it wasn't bad! Cheaper than what I was originally looking at but it's still going to cost you a pretty penny.

Be careful though with smart watches or step trackers. Sometimes people have the tendency to over eat because they feel as if they've earned more by moving more. It's important to keep in mind what your goals are and which tool might be right for you.

For me, I use my fitness pal to track my food, right now. Hoping in the near future, one of my beautiful sister in laws will creating a meal plan/workout plan for me...which means...THE FOOD SCALE! More on that, when it comes to fruition.

I also use the Body Space app, which has workouts and plans I can use to track what I've been lifting. I think record keeping is important in fitness, how else are you going to know how far you can push yourself, how else are you going to know what your next goal should be?

Lastly, since I've been weighing myself less, I'm noticing that mentally I'm feeling better about my body. Getting better about accepting how it looks. My body over time will change. As it's meant too, and that's okay.

Alright, I am off for now.
Blessing everyone have a great weekend and I'll post again on Monday! Let know you know how my run goes with the watch!
A

Comments