#MilesforMollie

Tonight's post is going to be a little different than my usual posts. However after attending Run Happy Hour tonight, it's something I really wanted to share.

Mollie Tibbets was a 20 year old college student who disappeared on an evening run near her home. Her pictures online, and hearing stories, as well as reading them Mollie sounds like a sweet girl who was full life, and really loved to run. Runners across the country have taken to social media to share the reasons why they are running for Mollie.

I must admit I took solo runs for granted. I used to think there wasn't much harm in where I was running. I can also honestly say that I, luckily, have NEVER felt threatened while out on a run. Well...almost never. Once, there was a big scary dog, but he didn't make it very far. I've had people stop and ask for directions. Mostly women, or one time a dad and his daughter were looking for one of the churches in town. For the most part though...I've never had an inkling of harm. Mollie was running through a small town of less than 1,500 people, where corn stalks grow tall, and dirt roads are probably more prevalent than brick or pavement. One would think it couldn't get any safer than that. I live in a relatively decent sized town. 20 minutes outside the city. I make sure to always run the main streets closer to traffic where everyone can see me. Plus wear safety lighting if it happens to be dark early morning or later evening run. I myself have ran to the outskirts of town to the crops fields and back...thinking as long as I can see traffic I would be fine.

Unfortunately, paying attention to traffic isn't enough. I used to carry a knife with me when I ran but the more I started to run with friends the less I felt I needed it. I think until Iron Woman or TayTay and I are able to get a run in together, I should go back to carrying.
That's the thing, this evil that was done, I won't let it stop me from lacing up and going out.

I had this conversation last week with my aunt in relation to sex trafficking. As mother she worries about her daughters being snatched even in public places. She fears that other women will lure them back to a vehicle and taken somewhere.

I remember telling her, as Christians we are called to be the light bearers of the world. The way we fight back against those that chose to isolate us and beat us back with fear, is by staying vigilant, learning self defense, remembering to have an exit strategy, and NEVER, NEVER be taken to a second location.

Safety for going out on a run.

*Vary your route. Don't make it predictable or easy for someone to stalk you. Vary the times, days, and routes you take.
*Run with protection - whatever you chose to carry - whatever app you choose
*If you are running alone, make sure you let someone know your route and your planned time. In the weeks following Mollies disappearance, I had a set time to call my sister, if I didn't reach her she was to try my cell then call the police if she couldn't reach me.
*Use a safety app - (Or these 2 safety apps)I will be downloading one of these tonight. I currently have Life 360 which is a family GPS tracking app. My mom has called me on a run before and told me to turn my booty around because a storm was coming in. I'm okay that she low-key stalks me. It's her job.
*If you wear ear buds, pop one out. I do when I'm in an area I'm not totally sure about it. I want to know if anyone is behind or near me, and the best way to focus is either not listen to music, or go to one ear bud.
*Slightly disturbing though but something I always think about, if you have wired head phones or a long string connecting your ear pieces together, I wrap the wire around my bun so that way it can't be used as strangulation if someone were to come up behind me.
*I learned tonight it's important to yell Fire! instead of help. As well as running with a dog has proven to also be a safety tactic.

Here are other safety tips from women runners, as well as the reasons they are running for Mollie.
DesMoines Register
Kim Runs on the Fly
CNN -
Salon - "So far this year in the U.S., it would appear only one woman has been killed by a stranger while running. Other ways women have died while running: terrorism, hit and run drivers, falling branches, heart attack. Every action carries risk. Are we going to stop taking actions? Over the past several days, runners on social media have been dedicating their runs to the memory of Mollie Tibbets under the hashtag #MilesforMollie. I devoted my own morning run to her today as well. I'll do it again tomorrow. Because I'll keep jogging as long as my knees and the weather permit me, but I won't be running scared."

Tonight's 3 miles at run happy hour were for Mollie. During the 30 seconds of silence for Molly I said a pray. A mournful one for her family, a thankful one for my health and the group that I am blessed to run with. 

We will not run scared.

Blessings,
A

Comments