Trail Running Training Month 1

Last night's run officially marked the beginning of my 13ish mile trail training, upcoming in November. First, let's not talk about how November is actually that close. It was a great first run back into training. I just didn't want to do anything else. Working out in the living sounded awful...doing yoga didn't sound like enough.
My body craved to be outside, my legs yearned to move. I waited for the storm to blow over...I don't mind running if it's sprinkling, but down pours...unless I paid a race fee, nah I'll be on the treadmill. The bright rays of sunshine streaked through the cloud soaked sky with the last of the storm rolling over head, and I was off. First mile, not so bad. 2nd mile MUCH FASTER....that 3rd mile?




Well...I found a new uphill battle to tackle and I can't wait to run that route again.

Then let's talk about training and what it's going to take to get me back into fighting shape.

In two weeks I have a 3 mile mud run with Roo, in September - so far no running events, just more training, Oct I have a 5k which I would REALLY...DESPERAETLY like to finish in as close to 25 minutes as possible. Then the 2 day trail running experience of my life.

It's the coveted Beer and Bagel race. On Saturday runners line up in front of a wooded golf park that takes you over creeks, through mud, and packed in fall leaves. Saturdays warm up is 13ish miles. Then Sunday, the big race is 4 miles...just kidding...you see what I did there? Then you can celebrate with beer and bagels at the after party...which, I'll be having neither but it's for the experience right???

Iron Woman threw down the gauntlet of getting close to her 7...or is it 10 half marathons? I'm sitting at only 4 halfs currently.

The beer and bagel will mark my 5th.

Month 1 of training, will consist of cutting back on junk, logging my miles, getting in my yoga and lifting sessions. I will have to tighten up the schedule that I have been keeping as of recently, as well as cracking down on weekend drinks and junk food throughout the week. My two short runs in the week will consist one day of hills, 1 day of speed work, and then my weekend run will of course be the long run.


I'll be using this training plan from Pop Sugar for my first 13 mile trail run. Trail running is a little different than pavement running. It's an entirely different 'department' of runners. Not all of them are focused on time, their really more focused on the journey and the things they'll get to see and experience during their time out in the nature. 
Pavement runners tend to be fast and focused on finding that finish line quickly. 

At least...that's what I've heard from other pavement runners. 

I'm looking forward to upcoming races! 

Tomorrow I'll be back to post my schedule for the week, Thursday will be meal planning and prep day. For now, I am off for an early bedtime!! Making this a quick post tonight!

Blessings, 
A

Comments