Primary Goal Proper fueling

I think we forget that the primary goal should for us to be healthy. Not Skinny. There is nothing wrong with being skinny, if that's what you are or if that's what you want to be, but the primary goal for all of us should be, just in general to be healthier. Everyone is shaped different, built different. We are made in the image of God, and God doesn't fit into a one-size-fits-all box.

Our primary goal should be more vegetables, more sleep, more water, more exercise. Rest when we need rest. To go to the source of life when ours feels empty. It's listening to music to feel better, it's a cup of hot tea to help you relax. It's praying in every situation.



I've been joking with Iron Woman about her Pre-Pregnancy weight. I weighed 6 pounds less before she popped out a mini-me. That's it! Not bad! While I wouldn't mind losing more weight...I mostly just want to feel good.



I want to run and not have my legs/feet hurt. I want my digestive system to operate like a well oiled machine. It's amazing how your gut health affects your brain chemistry. (It's science, that I will get into at a later date.)



I'm officially 3 weeks out from my 5th Half Marathon and my body is tired. I have a lot less energy this go around. I'm really motivated to go faster, I feel like I'm trudging along. A few years ago I was a split mile pace of 8 mins 30 seconds. This year, my fastest mile was 10 mins 45 secs. The extra weight hasn't helped, and switching to a primary sedetary job probably isn't great either, but mostly...I'm just not fueling properly. That will get me every time. I haven't had any alcohol yet this month, so I am going strong, but it's the chocolate right now that's doing me in. I'll need to phase that out this weekend.
I'm getting a better sense for what my body likes before a run, 1 cup of egg whites plus 1/2 cup frozen spinach. Little bit of salt plus a superhero muffin, I've started adding a tbsp of local honey. The natural sugar for the fuel, and mostly for allergies... ughhh...I'm dying....but enough about that. I also add 2 scoops of Yoli's Fun to my water pack for the long runs.


It has twice the amount of potassium as a regular sports drink and about a 1/3 of the carbs. Perfect for those long runs.
Recovering food though has been a bit of down fall for me. Right after I finish logging the long miles, I head home for sugary cereal or some candy thinking of earned it. It just ends up making me feel depleted after that great work I did.

Generally after a work low impact workout you don't necessarily need to eat right away, but if you're going to be running say...10 miles this Saturday...(who could that be?? ME?? Crap.) Then you should really be participating in a recovery meal.
Every time we exercise our bodies break down muscle fibers and create tiny tears in our muscles. Recovery time is important after a tough workout because it gives our bodies time to heal and reshape those tiny tears into "bigger", stronger, muscles.

Protein is one of the building blocks to help repair muscles that have been torn down and reshaped. After a long run or a workout some recovery meals would include, a smoothie with your choice of milk and fruit, protein powder and oatmeal, or even protein powder pancakes. A few fried eggs with Brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes. That will be my goal this weekend. Nail my mileage for the long run and have a proper recovery meal.

For now, I'm off to sulk in my lunch as I battle through another allergy attack. WAAAHHHH!!!!

Blessings,
A

P.s. I promise to post my Halloween playlist this weekend. It's Iron Woman's return to racing this weekend and I can't be more pumped...no matter how slow we go.

Comments